Cost to fit a door

What is the typical price a carpenter would charge to fit a standard size door in London?

Is this to fit one door, or several?
Christian.
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:03:20 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

Jusy one door, does it get cheaper the more doors you fit?
Wil wrote:

I would imagine that the price they quote will factor in travelling etc. If it takes them 30 mins to get to you, and the same to go home then that's 1 hour travelling (at random figure of 20 per hour). The 1 hour to fit the door adds another 20. So 1 door = 40. A second door will take another hour, so 2 doors = 60 (or 30 a door). Extrapolate into 5 doors and that is 120 for 5 doors or 24 a door.
There are other overheads too - but that's a basic example.
He may charge a fixed rate per door based on doing just 1 door - but this may then mean he pockets the savings I've explained when he actually does many doors... ;)
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:56:05 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com (Wil) wrote:

This job wouldn't be just in the domain of a carpenter, as it's a pretty standard DIY type of job. You might like to try a general handyman, who could work out cheaper than a time served carpenter.
There's no special wisdom or tools needed for a typical front door. However it depends how much prep work is required cutting for locks, letterboxes, bolts, weather bars.
For an internal door the amount of work would be much less, just cut to size, add handles and hinges.
PoP