Cost of someone's labour

A lump sum payment will let him set his own pace for the job without you having to worry about the cost going up if he finds it a bit hard going. Get a couple of quotes from people who do this as a business, then pay him about half that as he won't have the overheads that a business would. If you knock £20 off the price then give it to him at the end as a bonus he will think you are a great employer.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It's amazing how you manage so well without opposing thumbs.

Reply to
Rob Morley

"nightjar .uk.com>"

That sounds fair enough. It's what I allow myself.

I don't always get it - in fact I rarely do - but I allow it:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I wish I'd thought of that ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com>"

That sounds good - but potentially expensive...

The principle is right though. Not trying to pay as little as possible but paying a fair rate for the work done.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Don't worry Mary, you will.

(Somebody said the same to Oscar Wilde at a party).

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nobody said, "Don't worry, Mary, you will." to Oscar Wilde at any time, party or not!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I was fairly clueless at 16 - by 21 I'd started to figure out what makes the world go round.

Reply to
Rob Morley

s amazing how you manage so well without opposing thumbs.

In Oscar's case, they might very well have done...... :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Steve presented the following explanation :

I would suggest a fixed sum for a specified job, excluding costs for materials. That way he would not have an incentive to string the job out any more than necessary. I would suggest £300 in cash, plus another £300 in an account set up for him as an incentive to save.

I suggest you keep a close eye on proceedings and assist with the lighter work, both to make sure it is done properly as well as make sure it is done the easiest way. They tend not to know how best to minimise the the amount of effort needed, if they have never tackled a job like this before - so sit down with him and plan it before hand.

They might well start off with the best of intentions, but often become disillusioned part way through. So be prepared to split the job in to smaller parts where you pay a percentage of the total at the end of each stage.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I wish I knew - at 3X21 plus some.

The thing is that at 21 we DO think we know. At 30 we KNOW we know.

Then the doubts begin - if we have any intelligence that is ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No. I assure you it didn't happen.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why would you think he'd do that? Not all people do.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher formulated on Tuesday :

There are rare exceptions, but most kids when faced with a major job quickly loose interest. Therefore better to offer a fixed sum for a fixed job. The incentive then is to get stuck in.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry - you don't KNOW that MOST kids do that.

They might in your experience, they don't in mine. But we don't know all kids so neither of us can speak for all of them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My 12 year old daughter helped me decorate for a week for a pair of rollerblades ;-)

I did throw in some protective gear as a bonus though! ;-)

She kept busy pretty well all the time and we had a laugh and chat at the same time .. she was't up for a second week though (well it was the school holidays) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Astrophysics at university?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You mean a dust sheet?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Dunno where you get that from. The first break must be 6 hours or less after the start of work. The second one - if applicable - must be 6 hours after the end of the first one, and paid for. 11 hours between the end of one shift and the start of the next one. Tea breaks, etc, between statuary meal breaks not mandatory.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No (silly woman) knee / elbow protectors and one of those helmets the 'skater boys' wear (that look like German army helmets .. her choice ).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m