Cost of running 60-watt bulb for 6 months, non-stop?

Timed switches would suit you. They're the ones where you press a button and the light stays on for a set time while you climb the stairs, and they switch themselves off. You can get two way versions.

Reply to
BigWallop

I use the GE ones that have only really just come out (called Mini-Tech or something similar). They are only fractionally larger than a normal lightbulb and have the same shape. Don't write off compact fluorescents until you've seen one of these latest types, rather than those horrible stick like things for 99p from Ikea. They even do candle types, although the bulbs are still considerably larger than a standard candle and not suitable for many (most?) light fittings.

Modern types are pretty yellow, too, and produce light not dissimilar in temperature to an incandescent bulb. The only real disadvantage is the time taken to warm up.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'll take a look next time I need to buy lamps. Can you suggest a supplier?

Not being dimmable? Technically this ought to be possible with a dimming ballast in the lamp - perhaps X10 compatible or something. It wouldn't be cheap though.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I got mine from B&Q for about 6 or 7 quid, IIRC. I'm sure you'll find them on the internet somewhere. They were also selling the older technology versions, which are bigger and not quite so yellow, although still lightbulb shapes. The new ones have "Mini Tech" (or whatever the similar phrase is) in a box on the packaging. I don't know if the original types are being withdrawn.

Obviously, the fluorescent is never going to quite match an incandescent, as it is hard to get such a broad spectrum from phosphors, but I find them a great improvement over cheaper/older types.

Yeah forgot about that disadvantage. Then, I've always been prejudiced against dimmers, even before compact fluorescents were out. I can't stand the buzzing and find turning them on and off tedious, either having to carefully line up a finger for a precise jab on the knob, without twisting it, or twisting the knob through its entire range, depending on the type. I find rockers just need to be vaguely hit at any angle.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Sometimes when bulbs blow they take much more - briefly.

More importantly, 2 things were left out of the calculation. First is the cost of the bulb(s), which is often minor, and often not.

182 days x 24 hours = 4368 hours = 4.4 bulbs. At 20p each (with basic bulbs) thats another 88p. But at £1:50 each thats another £6:60, taking us to over £20 all in.

Now, here's the more useful bit: the cost of a CFL. Bulb price £3:50, life 5000 hours. Bulb cost thus £3:08. Electricity cost of 11w for 4400 hours = 11/1000 x 4400 x 6p = £2:90.

Thus all-in CFL cost is £5:98. Per light fitting.

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for this suggestion. I had seriously considered those timed switches, but decided against them because I vaguely recall that something about them had annoyed me in the past... I can't remember exactly what. Probably because they often switched off before I had finished needing the lights on. However, I think you are probably correct if you are implying that they save the most energy.

Allan

Reply to
Allan