Cost of running 60-watt bulb for 6 months, non-stop?

Page 2 of 2

I got mine from B&Q for about 6 or 7 quid, IIRC. I'm sure you'll find them on the internet somewhere. They were also selling the older technology versions, which are bigger and not quite so yellow, although still lightbulb shapes. The new ones have "Mini Tech" (or whatever the similar phrase is) in a box on the packaging. I don't know if the original types are being withdrawn.
Obviously, the fluorescent is never going to quite match an incandescent, as it is hard to get such a broad spectrum from phosphors, but I find them a great improvement over cheaper/older types.

Yeah forgot about that disadvantage. Then, I've always been prejudiced against dimmers, even before compact fluorescents were out. I can't stand the buzzing and find turning them on and off tedious, either having to carefully line up a finger for a precise jab on the knob, without twisting it, or twisting the knob through its entire range, depending on the type. I find rockers just need to be vaguely hit at any angle.
Christian.
Sometimes when bulbs blow they take much more - briefly.
More importantly, 2 things were left out of the calculation. First is the cost of the bulb(s), which is often minor, and often not.
182 days x 24 hours = 4368 hours = 4.4 bulbs. At 20p each (with basic bulbs) thats another 88p. But at 1:50 each thats another 6:60, taking us to over 20 all in.
Now, here's the more useful bit: the cost of a CFL. Bulb price 3:50, life 5000 hours. Bulb cost thus 3:08. Electricity cost of 11w for 4400 hours = 11/1000 x 4400 x 6p = 2:90.
Thus all-in CFL cost is 5:98. Per light fitting.
Thanks for the rplies folks. The concensus seems to be approx 15. I was trying to calculate which would be most cost-effective: whether to install a PIR switch in my hall and another on my landing, to control the lights when movement is detected - or whether to buy two 12 light-senitive light fittings that use low energy bulbs that come on at dusk. I think I'll do the latter, since those PIR switches often don't even last a year before some power surge or blowing bulb fries the cirquitry. They cost at least 25 and are not intended for low-energy bulbs - whereas the dusk-to0dawn light sockets cost 12 each, accept low-energy bulbs and hopefully will last much longer... They also have a timer on them so that at dusk, they come on for 3,4,6, or 8 hours depending on how you set them.
Thanks again
Allan
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:20:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net (Allan) wrote:

Most of the stand alone PIR switches are quite happy with any bulb - they have relay outputs. I've used two PIR's stripped from 500w floodlights (the cheapest way to buy them) controlling hall and door lights for 10 years each with no failures -one controls a low energy bulb, one a standard one. (I know its no really worth switching a 2D bulb in this way but the fitting was already there).
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Timed switches would suit you. They're the ones where you press a button and the light stays on for a set time while you climb the stairs, and they switch themselves off. You can get two way versions.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:15:50 GMT, "BigWallop"

Thanks for this suggestion. I had seriously considered those timed switches, but decided against them because I vaguely recall that something about them had annoyed me in the past... I can't remember exactly what. Probably because they often switched off before I had finished needing the lights on. However, I think you are probably correct if you are implying that they save the most energy.
Allan