Cost of plastering

My daughter has just bought a small terraced house in Chatham, Kent and one of the jobs she wants done is to have a skim coat of plaster applied to her artexed lounge walls - believe me, it's hideous.

She has had one quote so far of over £1000 which seems very high for a room measuring barely 12 feet by 10 feet. Has anyone any views on what is a reasonable price for the area.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Thats no reasonable price for any area, IMHO.

for an average sized room I'd say £400to£500

Reply to
ben

get her to ask how long the job will take then get her to ask what the plasterers day rate is. I recon it's a 2 day job, tops, and that makes a fair price of £250 MAXIMUM (inc bacon butties & tea)

RT

Reply to
news

I presume thats just a labour price?

Maybe you should move to Kent.

Reply to
ben

£125 per day for a plasterer??? Where! Give his number NOW.
Reply to
Geoffrey

ROFL at your sig :)

Reply to
Adrian Chapman

no.

I have 2 plasterers that do £125/day, Matt & Jason take a bow !

do they really charge you more than that ? :D

p.s. f*ck kent, it's chock full of shandy drinking southern jessies.

RT

Reply to
news

I suppose really it's a case of...There's plasteres and You have plasteres.

Reply to
ben

Phone numbers please. I'll offer them double that.

YES

Reply to
Mike

Use a steam wall paper stripper to remove the artex or scrape it off with a blade.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Heh! you ever tried removing that stuff? and she does have four walls of it.

Reply to
ben

Probably a day's work for a plasterer and a mate. Last pair I employed charged £300 for the day.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

As it happens.... When we bought this house pretty much every wall and ceiling was rough artexed. Bit by bit I removed it all using an Earlex steam stripper. The ceilings are the worst.

I reckon I could do a standard sized room (walls that is, not the ceinling as well) in a weekend, as long as it was completely clear of furniture and carpet.

Mind you, the clearing up afterwards is a pig of a job and if you want to paint the walls rather than wallpapering them you have to spend time sanding down the surfaces.

Reply to
Geoffrey

So all in all plastering them is the easiest solution, woundn't you agree. :-)

Reply to
ben

Easiest? God YES! We just couldn't afford it :(

Reply to
Geoffrey

All the more reason you should try your hand at plastering.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Reply to
ben

My favourite is a power planer with blunt carbide blades! Round off the ends of the blades slightly. Bit dusty!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Ooh! Me lungs hurt.

Reply to
ben

They will on early artex (up to about 1983) It contained asbestos until about then.

Reply to
<me9

Why'd you think I said it, I would never scrape of Artex because of this reason. If you don't know it's age then plaster it.

Reply to
ben