Cost of new central heating

I'm been quoted £3200 for the installation of a new central heating system, comprising:

- a Saunier Duval Therma Classic F30e plus combi boiler

- 9 radiators with valves etc

- relocating boiler with flue up to roof

- thermostat

- all pipe work (in loft and under floors)

Does that sound reasonable? Are there any particular questions I should be asking?

Was gonna have a go at doing it myself but too many other projects to do :o(

Reply to
Wisefrog

Don't touch a Saunier!!! Get him to quote on Worcester Bosch Junior.

They seems a good price.

Reply to
IMM

Well to give you an idea...

small 2 bed terrace British (ripoff) Gas quoted us £4,352.65

For worcester 28i junior combi £1,916.91 !!!!!!!!!!

6 rads with valves towel rail pipe work inc. removal of old wairm air system £190 and a friend, who is a heating installer, charged us £2,500 for basically the same
Reply to
MiniEmma

In article , Wisefrog writes

Go for it. I paid much the same for a slightly smaller installation a couple of years ago including the recovery of the old installation.

It's really much easier to deal with a local independent installer than a "national". You can discuss/haggle YOUR wants/requirements with somebody who lives just "around the corner"!

(Yes, I know it's off-topic for d-i-y!)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You removed a warm air system? Madness!!!

Reply to
IMM

What's up with the Saunier?

A friend who's a plumber (but live's a long way away so can't do my installation) swears by the Baxi 105e & 105e instant. The plumber I had in for a quote recommended the Saunier, but so far I only have his word that that's because it's a decent boiler rather than the one he gets the best deal on.

Reply to
Wisefrog

In message , Wisefrog writes

You might want to search Google Groups for IMM and International man of Mystery before paying to much attention.

I suspect that most installers have their favourite brands, partly based just on what they know and Are used to.

Reply to
chris French

And perhaps the profit they make on it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Our local paper (London SE) is full of ads around the £1700 mark with 7 rads so I'd say £3,200 is too dear.

Reply to
stuart noble

In message , stuart noble

Yeah, but when you want to buy a system you find that it works out more expensive.......

I reckon I must have spent 1500 - 2000 grand just on the parts when I did our 10 rad installation

Reply to
chris French
[25 lines snipped]

£2 million? Must be a shit-hot central heating system.

:o)

Reply to
Huge

It's surprising how it does add up. I also need to find a suitable vertical rad in one room which are even more bucks!

No one's really commented on the Saunier choice of boiler so remains an unknown quantity for me. I have a very solid recommendation for the Baxi

105e and 105e instant though - will cost me a bit more but at least I know it's a good workhorse.

Someone also suggested getting a thermostat you can programme for different temps during day & night which sounds a really good idea.

Reply to
Wisefrog

In message , Wisefrog writes

Yes, it is a good idea

Reply to
chris French

In article , stuart noble

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I assume so, yes

Reply to
chris French

It's the platinum pipes and solid gold rads.........

Reply to
chris French

I did, and don't buy one.

Baxi are not much better, best avoided too.

Reply to
IMM

My thoughts exactly. Thanks all. I contacted the plumber to say I want to go with the Baxi boiler and he actually said he's recently costed one and it's a bit cheaper than the one he recommended/quoted me, so it gives me a bit more confidence I'm not being ripped off. Fingers crossed the installation goes well and I've finally found a plumber I can rely on :o)

Now, I just need to find someone who knows about Wickes showers...

Reply to
Wisefrog

I know at least 2 families that have had complete installations done at this sort of price. We shouldn't be lulled into the idea that gas fitters have to earn the same as a consultant surgeon. The guy that fitted my boiler recently thought £2K was a fair price for a combi and 7 rads. Said he'd quote £3K and do it for £2K if it was local/trouble-free/ and he didn't have any soft touch customers in the pipeline. The previous day he'd done a boiler swap for £850 on behalf of East Sussex water authority (2 hours driving), and they in turn charged the customer £2,600. Seeing what the middle men take is probably driving prices up more than just basic supply and demand..

Reply to
stuart noble

"chris French" wrote | >>I reckon I must have spent 1500 - 2000 grand just on the parts | >>when I did our 10 rad installation | >£2 million? Must be a shit-hot central heating system. | It's the platinum pipes and solid gold rads.........

You should have gone for two thermo-nuclear combi boilers and push-fit superconductors instead of gold rads. Gold rads are very popular on council estates.

Owain (running in IMM Emulation Mode)

Reply to
Owain