Cost of Installing a Combi boiler

I want to replace my existing floor standing 100000 BTU boiler with a combi boiler. The boiler is currently located in the garage, with good access to the work areas. The new combi to be located above it. All the necessary pipework and wires are within 1 m of the existing unit. I have received 2 quotes so far:

1) £1450 for a Baxi 105e. The job was going to take 3days? 2) £1850 for Worcester 28. The job was to be completed in 1 day?

None of the above included for the removal of the tank in the boarded loft.

To me this appears excessive. The quote was from an independant fitter. This work is in the Bolton area.

I have tried ringing a larger company, but they are too busy to take on any more work. Some fitters have come around with a promise of a quote, which failed to arrive.

Am I being overcharged or what.

Reply to
cubicsupport

Have you considered Europe? My brother-in-law (in Germany) regularly has work done by (former East) Europeans. They work like crazy and don't charge a fortune.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Seems a bit much. We've just had a new CH system put in with Vokera Compact 28 boiler and 10 radiators for 2,700 quid including all parts and labour in the Newcastle area. That included removing the old cylinder, water tank and warm air unit. Took them less than half a day to fit the boiler.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Surely they won't be Corgi registered?

Reply to
BillV

NO

Reply to
ski

On 2 Jul 2004 05:13:22 -0700, suresh snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (cubicsupport) strung together this:

They sound about reasonable to me, if you want to find someone cheaper you'll end up with a crap job.

Reply to
Lurch

Quote 1 is using a middle market boiler and is realistic about the time it takes todo everything properly (including flushing out the radiators, disconnecting the tank, removing the cylinder, converting to a sealed system, possibly bringing the gas supply pipework to current standards etc.) In view of this the quote would be quite reasonable (in London).

Does the quote involve making good the old balanced flue hole or removing the old pipe?

Quote 2 is based on an up market boiler essentially is the same for labour but are clearly intending to cut a lot of corners on the installation method, unless their idea of a day's work is 24hours!

I would try to get quote 1 to install the better boiler for the money of Quote 2.

If you think these guys are expensive have you tried BG or Servowarm?

Leaving the tank in the loft is not a problem, it will be easily disposed of if/when you convert the loft and until then is taking up a huge amount of space.

If you have many water cuts and the pipework allows leave the cistern to supply the WC(s).

HTH

Reply to
Ed Sirett

But aren't registered.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

One day for a boiler installation is quite common. Its done by more than one person.

Reply to
.

Does it make a difference these days?

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

He'd be breaking the law by working on gas - and therefore probably doesn't bother with insurance etc either. Or, of course, pay tax.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But, as you said, they are as rare as rocket horse "muck". The rest of us have to take what is available. I wonder just how much shoddy/rip-off workmanship is covered by that Corgi "badge" of honour? How about half the price of the new gas cooker to have the old hob merely disconnected (I removed the hob) and the new cooker connected?

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 08:28:51 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" strung together this:

Not unless he was making a living at it.

Reply to
Lurch

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 09:45:59 +0100, Mike Mitchell strung together this:

I think you missed the point. If customers don't want to pay a reasonable price then they never will get the pro's in to do a job. This has been done recently on another thread.

Reply to
Lurch

I appreciate that CORGI reg is an attempt to maintain some sort of standard of professionalism but really I think its a rubber stamping procedure for mediocrity. I speak genrally of course and there are plenty of gas chaps and ladies who hold very high standards but these are personal standards and nothing to do with CORGI. There are plenty of CORGI's who dont even bother to test for gas leaks after doing work.

I have 23 years experience and I'm not CORGI reg'd yet i could produce a ring binder full of evidence and certification to clearly demonstrate competence.

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

I've thought of a scam to bypass this. Do a job at a customers premises,sell them a gas safety guide or similar publication for the cost of the job. Thus no payment has been directly received for the job,only for the publication. demonstrate competence to the customer by showing evidence and doing a good quality job. Everyones happy.

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

I totally agree with the inference. CORGI reg is a poor attempt at upholding standards and registrations,its all weve got I'm afraid. I just wish Joe and Joanne public would realise that thats all it is,a registration scheme.

If the same guy was doing both jobs at the same time (in the same visit) it does sound a bit steep.

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

True, it's about supply and demand at the end of the day. Also true, it costs money to operate as an installer - but not that much. I don't think anyone is crying any tears for the poor installers because they are making very good money.

You may not have seen a thread on here about it because most people wouldn't expect to ask solicitor or estate agent questions in a DIY newsgroup but outside of here Estate agents and solicitors are bitched about far more than heating installers.

Reply to
StealthUK

Well, what the f**k does a 'tradesman' usually do? Work for the hell of it?

And as I understand it - it's not even just a case of making a living at it - working on gas in anywhere other than your own property, unless 'qualified', is distinctly dodgy.

Consider, for example, of someone working on a public building that may normally rely on at least some volunteer work - churches etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wasn't supporting the law in any way - just making a point.

I wouldn't employ a non CORGI person to work on gas, purely from the insurance point of view. But I'll happily work on gas in my own house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)