Cost of Installing a Central Heating System?

I am buying a small house, one bed, bathroom, kicthen and lounge.

Has anyone any experiece or guidance as to how much this is likely to cost?

Reply to
Wilmslowwhite

About £1000. This assumes that a suitable gas supply is already to the property, and there are no particular difficulties in locating the boiler re flueing. Making good and redecoration to final finish would be extra.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

1000 quid for a whole CH system?? You gotta be kidding... I don't have a figure to quote, but it will be considerably more than that. (And if the OP's from Wilmslow, which won't help the budget!).

David

Reply to
Lobster

I tend to agree. The bits alone will be at least a grand if there is nothing there right now..thats for a combi type system: More if its mains pressure.

Probably £1500 of labour by the time its all squared away.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

.. and the rest...

Reply to
Andy Hall

£1500 should be absolute tops. Shop around for quotes and don't ask BG.
Reply to
EricP

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote

Agreed. Having recently had some upgrade work done to a larger system, I was also thinking 2.5-3K. However, this will depend on: a) The availability of plumbers in your area and therefore their rates (I contacted about 20 around Hull and only had 5 visit, of whom 3 bothered to quote). b) The quality of components you (or the plumber) choose to fit.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Indeed. A boiler and pressure hot water tank will set you back over £1500 quid before you even start running pipes. Have you seen the price of copper these days?

Then you probably want to lift and relay floors to install the pipes, they need lagging and insulating..or I suppose you could use pushfit..

Radiators aren't free either, nor are stats, or trvs or motorized valves, then you need a switched fused spur plus some wiring up and a timer..

Then when its all in you need to get a decorator in to make good the mess left behind..

Most plumbers are £120 a day, and there are several days work here. I'd say 3-5 at least. My gues is a minimum of £2000, and £3500 is a good target to beat for a top quality system installed where none was before, with everything tidied up and squared away properly afterwards.

You can just about buy a combi and radiators and all the bits for a grand, for a rock bottom installation.

BUT even there, consider issues like moving to pressurised hot water in a combi: how many showers and mixer taps may need replumbing?

I helped a friend get a PHW system put in to his existing boiler and radiators, to allow an upstairs shower to be fitted. That was £1300 to plumb in, with the tank.

Took 3.5 days PLUS all the little bits of copper/valves and so on.

In 2 bedroom cottage.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or ask BG first, and shop around for quotes half (or less) of their figure.

Reply to
<me9

What? No (seperate) toilet? No garden? No ORP (off road parking) as the local Estate Agents' say?

Location? Location? Location?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Yes. That would be best. Anything about half theirs would be par. :))

Reply to
EricP

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Thanks for all your comments.

I am looking at a small/cheap boiler - =A3300, with 4 rads and I reckon the materials will cost =A3800 from a DIY chain.

I will speak to a few plumbers, my ideal scenario would be for it to work out cheaper alround for me to buy the materials and get a plumber to fit for =A3500 cash.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks to everyone once again.

Reply to
Wilmslowwhite

Thanks for all your comments.

I am looking at a small/cheap boiler - £300, with 4 rads and I reckon the materials will cost £800 from a DIY chain.

I will speak to a few plumbers, my ideal scenario would be for it to work out cheaper alround for me to buy the materials and get a plumber to fit for £500 cash.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks to everyone once again.

With a small cheap n nasty boiler & Screwfix rads (pretty good value for money and look OK) and a straightforward installation i don`t think you`ll see any change from £1700 ish. BG will want double and probably more.

richard

fullflow plumbing

I don't think you're going to find a (new) boiler that cheaply. For a start, these days you have to fit a condensing model, which has caused a step-shift in prices.

You'll find that's not the plumbers' ideal scenario though! They usually expect to supply and fit, which (a) lets them add a mark-up and which your plan deprives them of, and (b) prevents the real issue of what happens if/when it doesn't work properly - is it down to him (bad installation) or you (bad equipment), whereas if he provided everything there would be no question.

Can be done, though - have done it myself! ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

I take it you're going to flog the place immediately after then?

Reply to
John Stumbles

Inside the guarantee period I would hope. See Boiler Choice FAQ.

Reply to
Ed Sirett