cost of house extension? quick'n'dirty question!

I'm considering buying a bungalow to which I'd want an extension built.

The house is rectangular with gable ends and a ridged pantiled roof. The extension would be at one end, across the full width of the house (22 ft) and 24 ft long. It would consist of one large room, and a woodburning stove would go in the middle.

I could do the finishing, but would pay a firm to do all the main work.

Not much work in the existing part of the house would be needed: the corridor would need to be taken through where there are now wardrobes in one of the bedrooms, and a doorhole would be knocked in what's now the external wall.

I'm not sure whether a masonry chimney would be needed.

I'd want 3 UPVC framed windows, some French doors, and plumbing for a couple of radiators. No need for anything fancy with the roof; just continue the existing surfaces and have a new gable end at the end of the extension.

The house is woodframed and roughcast; the extension would be the same.

Can't think of anything else.

OK so what would a quick'n'dirty estimate for the cost be?

Thanks for any help with this!

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

For conventional build, IE cavity walls on strip footings etc, you are looking at around £30 - £40k

No idea what it costs using timber etc, why not search timber or wood framed extensions, I just found this one in Cornwall:

can enquire with them how much it would cost, then you can work from there WRT footings, drainage, roiofing and flooring etc

Reply to
Phil L