Corrugated asbestos

I have a garage with a corrugated asbestos roof.

Does this pose any health risk? If so, how to find a suitably qualified company to safely remove it?

Reply to
abracad_1999

Asbestos in this roofing form could only pose a health risk if mauled about with. If it is still sound and performing its intended function, there should be no need to remove it, unless you want rid of the garage that is.

Pete

Peter Stockdale

So have I and hundreds around me.

No, only if you take an angle grinder to it on a windy day with no mask on. You are in more danger of harm from getting a chunk in your eye.

Only if you have a lot of spare cash in the bank to burn. The general thought is leave it alone and it will cause no harm for the remaining 40 or so years of it's life.

Reply to
EricP

I had one of those - lots of people have them. The thing is, it's probably "corrugated asbestos cement", and....

A very, very, very tiny one.

My gosh! They'll be beating a path to your door!! You can DIY it, and save hundreds of pounds, if not thousands, depending on who would have done the job. So: Try a Google on this group. Find out about the cost of hiring a van for 1/2 a day, if you haven't an estate or trailer. Telephone your tidy tip, or council, to find out where you can dispose of it (yes, you can). Buy a pair of bolt cutters (18") to split the nuts on the bolts holding the sheets on. Remove the sheets, dump them, and replace the roof with a nice pitched one (Google again).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No.

Easily, there are no end of certified asbestos con artists who will be only to willing to relieve you of a few thousand pounds. Yellow Pages will have many listed.

Look at

before doing anything expensive.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Unfortunately you overlooked the single most important piece of advice, i.e. Do NOT break up the sheets.

Joe Lee

Reply to
Joe Lee

If white or light grey, no. If blue or brown, yes, but blue and brown asbestos roofs are a real rarity. And can easily be made totally safe anyway.

Me! Me! =A35000 sir!

Unless youre selling, or want to remove the garage altogether, asbestos makes a good quality long lived roof, if not the most glamorous.

But if youre selling, you'll probably be selling to a line of clueless people that will freak out and pay a licensed asbestos conartist thousands of pounds to take the garage down the tip. If selling its usually best to get rid first, and let them put up a new wood one that'll rot away instead.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

| I have a garage with a corrugated asbestos roof. | | Does this pose any health risk? If so, how to find a suitably qualified | company to safely remove it?

Are you sure it is asbestos? At some date they started making the stuff without asbestos. Mine installed c1997 is asbestos free.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

A "wood" roof? Hmm. Anyway, when I sold a rental property earlier this year, no-one even mentioned the asbestos cement garage roof

- so maybe the hysteria is not too widespread (hopefully!).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Taking it to the tip will be tricky as most stop vans going in and will only allow cars under a height barrier. You're supposed to transport it double wrapped in a separate compartment from the drivers section. You can pay some geezers to officially remove it and they'll just throw it in the back of their transit van no worries.

Reply to
mogga

All this talk of thousands of pounds when I enquired it was going to cost £400 for the whole garage.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I agree. I just had the entire roof of my house removed and replaced with slate. Old roof was concrete-asbestos - stamped on the bottom of each tile! Cost =A3240 for special small skip from Stowmarket Skip Hire, Suffolk. My builders did the removal. I had budgeted a lot more, so celebrations in our hause last week!

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak