Corrosion potentials - Al and SS.

I'm assembling a fruit cage kit. There are complications with the site in that one side wall is an existing shed and the site isn't square. That's background for the query.

I've two bits of 25mm Al tube off cuts which if added together will catch the vertical side netting on the shed wall.- there'll be no downward load on this tube which will be well attached to the wall.. Internal diameter is a tad over 22mm. I've found a bit of 22mm stainless steel water pipe in the junk box which will do a nice coupler, but am I right in remembering that Al and stainless are not a good idea together. It doesn't need to be dissembled so if I just glued it with say PU glue would the opinion be that it seal the joint enough to protect it.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

you can get Al - SS anti-seize compounds .... used all the time in marine environments.

If you are near S.Wales I can let you have some of mine. (about £9 a tube so expensive to buy for just one job)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

For future ref, one easy and cheap way to make the frame is to use ordinary copper CH pipe and solder joints - but used loose. I hold the pipes in the 'sockets' by drilling before the joint and using clips made of stainless coathanger wire to hold them across the corners. It is a good idea to brace longer sections by sliding a bamboo cane inside. These days you'd have to watch out for the tea leaves but I had a very handy fruit cage made like this for quite a number of years. Also a good tip is to use square section mesh for the cover, as the common hexagonal is a nightmare. You can, however, if you keep a look out, get woven mesh, which is more usable still (I have covered a small cherry tree with it...)

Spamlet