correct name of door-closing part needed

Hoping someone can help me with the right part-name so I don't look a complete numpty when I try to buy it...

We have some fire-doors, which slam closed. Very useful for stopping fires, but pretty noisy and annoying when they slam shut behind you.

So I'd like to fit them with those things-which-close-doors-slowly. I mean the things which have a spring (I think) and a damping mechanism so that the force is exerted slowly not at all once.

I can visualise exactly what it is that I mean, but what are the darn things actually called?

Ta for any help Rachel

Reply to
Rachel Willmer

Er....door closers :-)

something like this?

bigbria

If you already have overhead self-closers have you tried adjusting them? There are usually two screws, you may have to take a cover off first, one screw adjusts the speed of closing and the other the latching.

Reply to
David

You mean a door closer! (a briton type, not a perco type). No numpty.

Reply to
impvan