Cork to make corkboard

Does anyone know where you can buy cork to make a corkboard?

I know I could use cork tiles and glue them together to get a thickness of around 6 - 8mm but a roll or sheet would be better for me.

An online retailer would be ideal or somewhere in the Manchester area if not.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere

You could use cork tiles on a sheet of soft particle board. Particle board is very cheap and usually available in Wicks et al.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Go and view your posting on Google Groups - it comes up with several advertisers tailored to exactly what you want at the top of the screen.

I got some of this from Habitat once, but we're talking 20 years ago?

There was a long thread about this very topic on this ng about 3 or 4 months back - try googling for that!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Are you sure? There is a *lot* more scope for b*gg*r*ng it up trying to glue a continuous sheet of, lets face it, quite fragile material. I made a cork board for my son using cork tiles. As long as you even them out side to side and top to bottom, the joins look fine. The substrate is, to be honest, more of a problem, unless you double them up as you suggest. It's easy and neat to glue onto a plywood substrate but you get very limited depth for the pins if you only use one layer (as I did) it still works OK though. Glueing to particle board as PP suggests would be possibly less secure but woud give full pin depth.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I am going to sound really numb here but what do you mean by particle board?

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere

I did start with google but apart from one site I could only find made up cork boards. I will search for this thread and look at the paid for ads.

Have done but didn't come across it. Thanks for the tips though

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere

Just found it - not sure if you can deeplink into google groups, but if so, you'll find the thread at

(if not, search for the title "DIY pin board")

David

Reply to
Lobster

Opitec at:

have 500x500mm sheets of cork, up to 6mm thick also cork sheeting on the roll up to 5mm thick.

The site is a bit of a pain to navigate, in that you have to register and get a customer number to use it - worth it I suppose if it sves you faffing around with glueing tiles together.

Reply to
gribblechips

Apologies

The URL should have read

gribblechips

It's a very soft board made of compressed fine fibre, almost like compressed kitchen paper, so it takes pins well and is often used as notice boards by itself. The surface isn't too robust though so putting cork tiles on it gives you a good depth of material soft enough to take pins and quite stable while also giving you a good wearing surface.

Reply to
Peter Parry

1) Wait for next Woolworths sale and buy as many 50cm x 80cm pinboards @ £1.99 each as you require for the size you want. 2) Rip off the flimsy wooden frames. 3) Glue the separate small boards onto a 6mm plywood backer board. 4) OPTIONAL - use "L" shaped battern to make new frame for large board (available from most Sheds - they usually keep the small-section wood batterns and mouldings in a horizontal display thingy) 4) Screw to the wall using brass or chrome screw-cups - or (if unframed) mirror corners.

John Forbes

Reply to
John Forbes