Corgi registered or not..?

Page 1 of 2
My question is from a customer's point of view, rather than an installer. I have recently had fitted a new kitchen (including Gas oven and hob) and a new central heating system including radiators. The property is being renovated prior to letting.
The problem is that I phoned Corgi yesterday to see if the installer (who has just set up a company with a colleague who both used to work for a reputable kitchen fitter) was Corgi registered. However, they had no record of him. I remember him showing me a card a few weeks ago prior to the work. It was white, with a number and his photo with Corgi on it and some info on the back. Being non-the wiser, I assumed this was his Corgi membership card meaning he was registered.
I am now very worried that he is not registered, but cannot understand why he would have done the work (he seemed to know what he was doing) and why he showed me that card. He is a trustworthy chap and lives in the same street as I do.
I also do not understand that he showed me the card, but Corgi did not recognise his details. I asked if they registered students, but apparently they do not.
The thing that made me suspicious in the first place was that he said he was unable to certify the work for letting purpose, as his Corgi registration type didnt allow him to do this. He said he would be able to certify domestic properties, but would need to complete another module and send a further fee to Corgi to enable him to certify for Landlords. I find this unbelievable as Corgi have clearly stated to me on the phone that if the installer if Corgi registered, then he could certify either property (whether domestic or for letting).
Both my wife and I have spent hours on the phone and on the internet (including this forum which is very useful). We have been left a bit confused, as the advice we have been given by most people is that the installer needs to be Corgi registered to touch gas. However, people form the forums have said he doesn't necessarily need to be Corgi registered, just competent in the eyes of the law.
I would greatly appreciate your advice on this rather stressful matter.
He now tells me he has a certificate from the "Guild of Gas Fitters". I've never heard of that, nor is there anything on the web sbout it. Is he telling porkies...?!
Many thanks,

To carry out any gas work for profit i.e. domestic or commercial installations for payment, the installer must be a registered CORGI installer.
If CORGI don't have his details, then he ain't CORGI registered.
The gumpf about having to do extra modules is bull, as the requirements for CORGI registration are in his competence during test installations, which CORGI choose at random, on any the work he has carried out and registered with them as being complete.
If he has gone through this process then he'll know how it works, so ask him to explain how one would go about obtaining the CORGI registered mark for certification. If he can't tell you that it is through voluntary issue of work he has carried out and which has been independently inspected by CORGI, then he's talking codswallop.
That's why they don't have his details, he isn't registered, and has produced a false document of registration. FRAUD !!! I think it's called.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

And I've never heard of the "Guild of Gas fitters"
--
geoff

I have... http://www.swatgas.freeserve.co.uk/guild.html

Hmmm - not much real use though ...
--
geoff

Chris Oates wrote:

Impressive looking site that - fills one with confidence.... NOT!
--
Cheers,

John.

Ha Ha Ha !!! Took the words right out my mouth. :-)) The background .gif is wonderful. LOL
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

anyone know how much Corgi registration is ??

This, I think, explains it Chris :
http://tinyurl.com/okvz
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Does the SWATGAS name stand for "She Who Attaches The Gas" which is an abbreviation of SWMBOTATGAS or "She Who Must Be Obeyed That Attaches The Gas" ? :-))
(sorry ! getting tired and weary sitting here doing nothing)
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Sorry, but your gumpf is equally bull. If you look at the Corgi website you'll find:
"In order to become CORGI-registered, you must first pass your ACS assessments. To do so, unless you have previously worked in the gas industry (ie you are renewing your ACS after a break) you will need to attend a course at your local college. ACS is the very minimum requirement for CORGI registration. Once you have this, the work that you can carry out is determined by which specific ACS course you have passed assessments in. CORGI maintains a list of which assessments each CORGI-registered installer holds and when they expire"
So, the work a corgi registered fitter is allowed to do depends upon his qualifications. The plumber I had to fit a new boiler would not move the cooker connection at the same time as he was not registered to do so.
Andrew

Doesn't say much for their standards if he doesn't know about pipe fitting.
--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Dave Plowman wrote:

and boiler certification but not cookers and hobs.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

I'd love to know what is so special about fitting a cooker or hob that it requires special certification?
When the electrical one comes in will the same thing apply to fitting a 40 or 60 watt lamp?
--
*You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive *

Dave Plowman wrote:

necessary additional cost to becoming certified.
Something like 75% of the whole subject is covered in the 'core curriculum' which is shown as 'pipe work' on the back of the CORGI card. Then each additional appliance group has a few extras to add to the curriculum.
In the case of cookers this would be mostly in the area of [1] Regulations concerning the use of bayonet fittings and flexible hoses. [2] Stability devices.
All the controls, regulators etc. are covered in the core.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
I am a CORGI registered engineer,
so I think I should clear up a few points,
If the bloke who did the work was previously CORGI registered with hi old firm , he would have a card , when he left that firm it would b very easy for him to show his old card , if you look on the card abov his name it will tell you the company name linked to the CORGI number if he no longer works for that company , then he is no longer CORG registered .
There are lots of modules which you need to carry out different type of work . The first module is listed on the back of the CORGI card a pipework , this is the minimum qualification to be a gas engineer when this runs out all other modules are void , with this module th engineer can carry out a landlords saftey check , he can also instal pipework , but he cannot comision , repair or service any appliances .
The installer who fitted the boiler but would not work on the cooke was correct , he would need a seperate module to install a cooker o hob .
here is a list of the different modules for domestic natural gas ,
Pipework Cookers Fires Water Heaters Central Heating Warm Air Tumble Dryers Leisure Equipment Meters
So you can see that someone may have the central heating module but no the cookers module .
Personally I think you should ask CORGI to come and inspect any wor that you are not happy with , I'm pretty sure it wont cost you anythin , and they will prosecute anyone for unsafe work or working withou registration
-- Tony
Tony Wrote:

Hi I'm also Corgi Registered, but I thought to do a Landlord check on fire for instance that you would need fires on your registration. I hav all apliances on mine, I certainly wouldn't want to say a fire was saf for a tenant who we are there to protect from harm if I didn't have th specific training and experience. Only today I had to cap off a ga supply rather than pass a fire. The chimney needs a lot of work, unti that's done no fire. Had I not had fires on my registration and I' just done a spillage test it would have passed
-- Paul Barker
snipped-for-privacy@jatmann.com (Jinge) wrote in message

Hi
There are examples of the new colour Corgi cards on the corgi-gas website. I think the old ones were B+W, and perhaps are still in circulation.
AIUI, there different CORGI modules so someone may be able to undertake some forms of work but not others. I couldn't find a list of categories on the Corgi site. I wasn't aware that being able to fit an appliance but not certify it for landlord regulations purposes was a division they had, so he may be saying that to mislead you.
From a pragmatic point of view you need a landlord's certificate, and probably expected him to give you one. Whether or not this was his understanding is probably a moot point, since based on what you've said he has done so for he's probably unable to issue one (legally).
Depending on his general character he may or may not be willing to try and resolve this to your satisfaction. By character I mean propensity for violence, fear of prosecution by Corgi, etc. He may have thought he could make a few quid from you without causing you or he any inconvenience, and might just want to keep as close to that as he can.
Assuming he's of suitable charachter, explain to him that you expect a certificate, and will leave it with him to get one sorted out for you by (say) the end of the week. You might want to ensure that the inspection explicitly includes a review of all installations and a gas soundness test. I'm not sure if a standard check would cover all this.
If that all goes well then you're sorted out on a personal level.
There is then the broader question of what you do about his Corgi status. It sounds like you don't want to cause this fellow trouble, and I might personally be inclined not to pursue it if the testing all goes well.
The Corgi stuff is expensive. I know people who were ticketed by their employer but haven't kept up the ticket after leaving that employer. I know others who paid personally (because they were self-employed) but have let it lapse due to decreasing return on the investment. Both these sets of people are (probably) competent to do the work, although not legally able to. You mentioned that your chap was previously employed by a kitchen fitting company, so he may fall into this class.
There's no good excuse for what he's doing, but maybe one of the bad ones will convince you its not worth pursuing.
If you're doing a house up for letting then I'm sure you've got lots on your plate. For personal sanity reasons I'd try to put this whole thing behind me as quickly as possible. You can always pick up the registration issue in a few months if you do nothing now and its still on your mind then. I know some here will disagree with that sentiment/proposal.
HTH IanC
"Ian Clowes" wrote | From a pragmatic point of view you need a landlord's certificate, and | probably expected him to give you one. ... | Assuming he's of suitable charachter, explain to him that you expect a | certificate, and will leave it with him to get one sorted out for you | by (say) the end of the week. You might want to ensure that the | inspection explicitly includes a review of all installations and a gas | soundness test. I'm not sure if a standard check would cover all | this.
The corgi CP12 form includes a numbered list of all appliances, including location, type, made, model, flue type, operating pressure or heat uinput, check for ventilation, flue, termination etc. There is also a Gass Installation: soundness test which must be ticked pass or fail.
| If that all goes well then you're sorted out on a personal level.
But this is a rented property. If an accident were to occur the OP could find himself facing a charge of manslaughter.
The landlord certificate has the fitter's Corgi number on it; it would be simple to check that number back with Corgi. It may be that they have a name mis-spelled or under a different trading name, but a check with the number should be conclusive.
Owain
Owain wrote:

Hi
I think you're misunderstanding my proposal.
What I'm suggesting is that the fellow who's done the work is probably not able to issue a certificate, and the OP shouldn't accept one from him.
However, if the original fitter knows somone who can (and will) come in, check over all the work and issue the relevant paperwork then the OP will be sorted out. The suggestion is based on the hint that the fitter originally worked at a business which was performing this type of work legally, and that he knows someone there who will get things sorted out in a non-dodgy manner.
It would also be wise for the OP to be sure the new tradesman does actualy check everything over, rather than just pop in with the relevant piece of paper to help is mate out.
Are you suggesting that is type of regularisation is not possible?
Cheers IanC