Corgi reg?

Had my potterton gas boiler serviced this morning. Although I am now concerned that he may not have been corgi registered. The company who sent him said they were and have it on there advertisment,so I asumed the engineer would have been too.But when i asked him he said it was only the company that was registered and that covered him.(I now know i should have asked to see his card). Anyway he cleaned the fins on the boiler and the pilot jet using a wire cleaner and spray and then checked the burner. He then finished by checking round the boiler with a meter which showed zero. My main concern was it still has a yellow flame flickering on the top of the blue. When I phoned the company they said it was the dust particals from outside getting pulled into the boiler.Is this true as although the flame is blue it still flickers yellow and I do worry about safety. Also after he cleaned the flue there was no dust,he said this was unsusual as the boiler hadnt been cleaned for 6 years but said i must have an efficiant boiler.So can anyone tell me if what he did was right and whether he,s corgi reg or not really matters. Thanks Dave
Although I am now concerned that he may not have been corgi registered. The company who

The is incorrect. The registration refers to the installer. Each install should have there own ID card (which you know). According to the corgi website "The card contains a photograph of the operative, their employer's trading title and the CORGI registered installer logo. The reverse of the card contains details of the different types of gas work the operative is competent to undertake". Thus the card is installer specific and does not cover all installers working for a company.
.

The installer should not have touch the applience if he is not corgi registered. (corgi website "It is not only illegal for people to work with gas unless they are CORGI registered installers"
Contact corgi and inform then what has happened. Corgi will then inspect the work. (corgi web: If your complaint is against a CORGI-registered installer you have employed, we will arrange for one of our inspectors to visit you to examine whether the work complained of has been carried out safely and competently"
If the installer was not registered, then (corgi web: If you suspect that gas work carried out in your property was done by an unregistered installer, we can arrange for an inspection during which our Inspector will advise you of any safety defects and the courses of action you can take)
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:52:47 GMT, "Pete"

This of course is complete nonsense.

Actually they will usually do absolutely nothing beyond writing to the installer.

In the course of about half a dozen complaints over a decade I am yet to see such an inspector.

Transco?
Ah, now that they will do - send a salesman around who will suggest a corgi who (at a fee to be paid by the customer) would recommend any amount of extra corgiwork to be done.
As a fee enhancing organisation for the gas fitters they represent and who pay for them they are masters. As safety watchdogs they are about as much use as a chocolate welding torch.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

I'd love one of those !

You did read the above post, didn't you ????

To quote "But when i asked him he said it was only the company that was registered and that covered him.(I now know i should have asked to see his card).So in one part it suggests he did ask then straight away he says "I now know I should have asked to see his card" which implies he didn't. Either way I posted a link to the Corgi site which allows you to check for Corgi registration.

My old Potterton Kingfisher did 12 years without being touched - and with no increase in gas consumption. When it did 'soot' up, it did so very quickly, and took no longer to clean, really, than if done every year.
I'm not recommending this to others - just giving some information.
--
*I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast *

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 12:04:12 +0100, tarquinlinbin

flame is blue,it then burns a constant orange at the top. Does this mean its ok?.
Dave wrote:

Does not sound good, is the orange more like a street lamp or more like a candle?
If the latter then a recall to the service company is in order, despite the fact that their employee did a more thorough job that could be expected.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:55:01 +0100, Ed Sirett

colour. As its blue at the bottom of the flame is that ok?
Dave wrote:

No. In the first instance the burner will need an overhaul, likely there is a gauze which is half blocked. Sometimes the gauzes are removable for cleaning sometimes not. If it's just the pilot that's like this then it just needs adjusting. Boiler will likely be sooting up on a day by day basis.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk