Corgi home plan

Is anyone familiar with Corgi home plan central heating and boiler cover? I have no cover at present, our system is now 6 years old, and they are offering full system cover (excluding tanks) including an annual boiler service for £16.99 a month.

The last service cost me £48 so that makes it £12.99 per month for the cover which sounds reasonable, unless one of you knows of a better deal!

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

So far, you've saved £1200 by not having it. If, for some reason, you think you're going to need more than £1200 of repairs doing to it over the next 6 years, then it sounds reasonable. Depends what it covers, e.g. does it fully cover a new boiler if yours if beyond economic repair? Generally, such insurance is never worth it from the financial perspective, or they wouldn't make any profit from offering it.

Ignoring the financial side, you might want some arrangement which gets you quick emergency cover if the system is essential for a vulnerable person. You may do better simply identifying a local Gas Safe person, such as whoever last serviced it (that service cost seems quite low to me - barely even covering callout).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Bear in mind that Corgi are now just another gas maintenance company, and have nothing to do with registrations or safety schemes. They now own the name, and are using it for all they are worth.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It includes providing a new boiler up to 12 years old. He is very reasonable for routine servicing but not reliable enough for emergency breakdown callout. Its having someone reliable I can call on 24/7 as I am often not here for several days. The company I used when the PCB packed up last year, and the one that installed it are no longer trading!

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

I've had a couple of mail shots from them. Interestingly nowhere does it indicate they are a Limited Liability company, which in the event of problems the owners themselves would be personally liable. The text also contains the phrase - "the likes of British Gas" which is not very professional. I filed it in the "cowboys" bin.

Reply to
hugh

might want to read through this.

It basically says, 'we are not gonna supply you with a free boiler under any circumstances'

Reply to
Phil L

And

3 What is Not Covered j. Any defect or failing which may be attributed to the original design of the gas fired domestic central heating boiler;

well that accounts for 99% of why the fecking thing stopped working within the first 12 years.

-
Reply to
Mark

so put the £12 into a saving account every month .....

Reply to
Ghostrecon

It used to be a charity. Don't know current status.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That is a very tempting idea, must seek out a local firm that offers a reasonable callout.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Annual service suggests things are done or replaced as a routine. In fact, it is nothing more than an inspection. Modern boilers don't need cleaning every year as was once the case.

You'd do better by simply saving the money so it is available for repairs etc as needed. Unless you think these firms are giving money away. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In over 30 years I have never taken `extra` insurance for any gas or elecrical item, it is just another avenue for making more profit fo companies. As others have said stick a few quid away in a bank account. At some point yes you have to replace items but that would happen regardless on insurance cover. To date I have had 3 wash machines in over 30 years, current one I fixed for £11. Central heating boilers only had to replace one after 21 years as it was the old type and they would probably have condemned it. Dish washers had 2 in 30 years. TV only ever bought one (friends keep upgrading and giving us the old ones) I hate to think what the cost of extra cover for these items would have been over the 30 years. Naw stick your cash in the bank.

Reply to
ss