CORGI engineer required to install new radiator?

That sounds about right. The £200 a day is the turn over not the take home. A small one man business would have £75+ per working day of overheads.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Is there such a thing as a 'CORGI engineer'? Do they actually train and certify? I thought CORGI were just a registration facility for people trained and certified elsewhere.

I think this thread has shown that people have little respect for CORGI or for tradesmen in general. That would be their won fault and not the publics. Bring back the apprenticeships I say - where 'tradesmen' actually learned their trade and took pride in doing a good job.

Mel.

Reply to
Astral Voyager

unless you're one of the rip off cowboys who lie and cheat their way through the day

I had a customer last year who thought a CORGI had ripped him off by charging him for his own pcb

As luck would have it, it was a Baxi Solo (Mk1) and the older blue board hadn't been on sale for more than three years [1]

This is obviously how our man here makes his money

[1] which resulted in a prosecution following my writing a letter to the court
Reply to
geoff

In message , Bob Eager writes

I think you were way over his head there

Reply to
geoff

That was my point...the term 'engineer' is much misused.

There are some good tradesmen around, who have to pay through the nose for their 'guild membership'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Astral Voyager writes

I explained earlier - maybe before your NG was x-posted to, that CORGIs are not allowed to engineer anything - that implies modification IYSWIM

They are only allowed to fit like for like parts (one after another until it works, normally ...)

Reply to
geoff

So, to bring it back to my original question. When I replace this radiator myself, and I then sell the house, and the buyer asks (well his solicitor asks) "where's the paperwork for this", what do I tell them?

Reply to
clangers_snout

That there isn't any. If they really want the house they'll buy it anyway.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Sadly we dont have a word - apart from 'mechanic' 'electrician' ' or 'plumber' for someone who has passed some sort of trade exam, but is not what in France or Germany would be called an engineer: Namely someone with a professional academic degree in an engineering discipline.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The point was that there is no such thing as a 'CORGI engineer'. Even if you accept the term 'engineer' then CORGI has nothing to do with it. CORGI is merely a registration body who (I assume as a minimum) verify and confirm a certification issued by another body. So the term should be 'CORGI registered engineer'. Semantics maybe...but clarifies what CORGI's role actually is.

Mel.

Reply to
Astral Voyager

What about the word "technician"? That's the one I would normally use for someone like that described above.

Reply to
Mark

What paper work? There isn't a requirement for any paper work to change a radiator. Your not going to tell them you changed the radiator are you, not unless they ask pretty specific questions about the heating system. Vagueness is all...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You have paperwork for every replacement in your house? It's up to the buyer to satisfy himself that the heating system is in good condition - only a fool would rely on the owner for that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Like for like replacement, is not generally a notifiable activity.

Replacment of a vented (sic) HW cylinder was notifiable for a while but common sense has now prevailed.

Adding radiators is not notifiable either.

Replacing a boiler is.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

There's nothing to tell him.

You will not have done anything that requires notification to any official body or involvement by any pseudo official body like CORGI.

However, if you feel that having a piece of paper from one of these organisations (which you wouldn't get for a radiator change anyway), then hire a registered fitter to do the job.

You are concerning yourself about nothing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, except they all call themselves engineers. And aren't as good as a technician.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

CORGI don't describe them (us) as such: it was the term used by the OP. CORGI's current term is "Installer" (as in Registered Installer, as in Council Of Registered Gas Installers = CORGI)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Is it now 'officially' not notifiable, or just no one takes any notice? ISTR that Prescott's office tried and failed a number of times to get plumbers to form a self-certifying body.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , PeterMcC writes

He's gone very quiet