Core drilling technique

I've got to drill a 125mm hole through both leaves of a standard cavity wall. Looking at TCT core drills they seem to be between 45 and 60 mm deep. So I'm puzzled at how to get though the first skin. I'll have to stop after the core depth has been reach and then chisel out the first core. Clearly once I'm through the first leaf, I can work from both sides on the second one.

Is there a technique that I'm missing somewhere?

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

you can usually tap the core out of the drill centre once it's full. Otherwise a lever, a screwdrivr for instance, can be inserted through a hole in the side of the core drill cylinder to help the core out. Then carry on drilling.

I've never had a problem.

Reply to
charles

I'd go for diamond tipped if possible. So much easier

Reply to
fred

OK, so are you saying that the core breaks up in the course of drilling? I'd have expected it to stay in one piece. My inner skin is breeze block so that might crumble fairly easily.

Cheers

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

But don't you get the same issue?

I'm only doing one hole although I could sell it on the 'bay afterwards I guess.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

SDS chisel will normally split out the core quite easily...

Buy a cheap diamond core instead - they are about 6" deep and it saves the hassle ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

It's always come away for me; both in bricks and heavy concrete blocks

Reply to
charles

No, that's the way you do it. A diamond drill is a bit better. You leave the hammer on the drill off and you get a cleaner breakthrough and less chance of vibration damage to the wall.

Very important. Make sure your drill has a functioning clutch. Drills this size can break your wrist if they jam.

Reply to
harry

even if it does not it is fairly easy to break it out of the wall.

Reply to
F Murtz

The odd time, yes. It's no problem to remove it from the cutter.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

There's an unusual use of the term "no problem". No problem if you have some rod and bar of appropriate dimensions so that you can tap the core out using the screw hole and slots for purchase. A big problem if drilling in rubble walls since bits of stone will wedge against the pilot drill and the wall of the core drill and will demand many fuckits before they will move.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Don't get me started on fecking rubble walls. Too many of them around, for my liking. I was really referring to the relative ease of use of the core drill on something decent and modern.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon