Core Drilling

Hi all I have just taken out a 4" core drill for house wall cutting for vent duct. To avoid falling off ladders during this excercise I intend to drill from the inside in loft space.

Should I be trying to use coolant? Any other tips? This could get very messy and damage newly plastered ceiling.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Patience.

The drill bit and the drill are likely to get very hot.

Give them a rest over lunch or whenever and don't try and muscle it through. It will get there in good time almost at it's own speed.

Coolant will just run all down your arm. Don't forget that you want the hammer action switched OFF!

:¬)

Oh, and don't forget, hold the drill securely, but in such a way that _when_ the bit and the wall become one, the drill will break away from your grip and you can get out the way.

Else you might get a broken thumb or be fired across the ceiling.

Oh, and make sure you keep the power lead going backwards (over your shoulder or somewhere) not downwards.

You'll find out the error of your ways in good time. :¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

Not unless you can supply a continuous flush at the cutting edge.

Withdraw the bit every so often to remove excess debris.

Make sure your work platform gives you safety. If the drill hasn't a torque limiter, be more careful.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If it is similar to the one I hired you just keep going at it, no coolant needed. If you need to cool it dip it in a bucket of water. Mine was through 2ft of very hard limestone so took some time. It had a built in torque limiter so no danger of jamming. I found the drill centring bit useless except for getting it located to start off, after that I left it out or it shook out of the morse taper and got in the way. I'd prefer to work off the ladder from outside cos of noise and dust, unless its very high. You do need a comfortable working position as you have to push it quite hard. Wear thick gloves and ear muffs. A long cold chisel handy for breaking off bits of the core when it has done a deep cut and starts binding. I guess it would be faster and easier in common bricks of soft stone.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

Many thanks to all I'll take these words of (norman)wisdom away with me this afternoon.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

I've found they seem to cut better wet, and have put it down to the slurry acting as grinding paste.

Reply to
Guy King

Make sure the drill has a clutch!

Also regularly check the hex key head grub screws that hold the bit + extensions together. They work loose and you could end up with a core drill stuck in the wall.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman