Cordless Drill choice

I am in the process of persuading myself (and more importantly SWMBO) that my upcoming house move, and associated job list, will go a lot better if I had a better drill/driver than my current B&Q one.

To this end which would the assembled populace reccomend? Budget upto £100 (ish) and I don't really want a combi drill as I don't do much masonry work.

I was thinking of either the Bosch 14.4v at £70 from Screwfix

possibly a Makita

quite like the look of the above deal (12v drill and Impact driver £140) but I wonder how much use the impact driver is - I'm looking at doing a bit of decking over the Summer so will an impact driver be better at this sort of construction than a drill/driver or is it likely to be a bit excessive?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Mark Spice

Both Makita and Bosch have good quality motors and batteries and good speed/torque behaviour, which is the key thing.

Either of the purchases you suggest would be good, although a 14.4v has a bit more oomph and longer run time. OTOH, the Makita is coming with 3 batteries.

I have the forerunner of the 6280, a 14.4v model, and that has worked very well indeed. With three batteries, you can drive screws continuously, in effect - I've done it for loft boarding and making ramps etc. using decking board.

The impact driver is interesting and would be of use for attaching the framing components together if you are doing a fair amount. For the top boards, I don't think it buys much over and above a regular screwdriver.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can't really go that far wrong with Bosch or Makita. I'm becoming a great Makita fan. I have an Makita 800 watt router that thinks its a 1500 watt router and just does everything right and a Makiya jigsaw that must be the result of advanced alien technology.

Having said that, I'm also a great Wickes fan. Their power tools are made by Kress in Germany and IMO are excellent value for money. 3 year warranty for professional use as well.

They have an 18v combi with 2 x 2 a/h batteries & a 1 hour charger for £89:99. You can also buy a jigsaw, circular saw & nailer which use the same batteries.

have a 14.4v Wickes combi which has done loads of work including 5 decks this year (06 I mean) and is used every day. Plenty of torque & good battery life.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

One limit on both drills is the 10mm chuck. Just consider if that's going to be relevant to your intended use (e.g. if you plan to use M12 bolts on the framework for the decking).

Both drills look good, but I know I've found a 13mm chuck damned useful in the past half way up a ladder.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I certainly can agree with your comments about the jigsaw. I actually bought the Makita after reading the responses to your query and your subsequent review - so cheers for that.

I wasn't going to worry too much about commonality of batteries - I don't need a lot of cordless kit just a drill/driver should be enough. I prefer the idea of extra power (and cheapness) of mains kit for slicing and dicing.

I am tending towards the Makita but.......

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Mark Spice

Don't bother with Bosch or Makita this is better quality. Go for the Wicks Hi-Torque cordless drill. It has a right angle adaptor - you just pull off the keyless chuck, clip it on - it locks in near any direction - and clip back on the chuck. Hex bits can be slipped right into the drill body and angle attachment with the chuck removed. Twp Panasonic celled batteries too.

Excellent drill, two decent batteries and an intelligent charger. They were on special offer for about 100 quid - but don't know about at the moment.

A battery angle drill will cost you £170 alone. This is an angle drill and a drill/driver. No contest.

Made by Kress in Germany. Bought on the web or in the shop. 3 yr guarantee too. The shops occasionally have deals, so wander in and see.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not sure why you'd especially need 13mm up a ladder but you do need it to drive larger holesaws and some other torquey tools. I'm particularly PO-ed that my 18V deWalt angle drill only has a 10mm chuck whilst my 14.4V dW has a 13mm! Anyone know if you can change them?

Reply to
John Stumbles

The Wickes (Kress) angle attachment drill I mentioned can have hex drills and bit inserted not using the chuck in the drill body or the angle attachment. So if your bit/drill size comes in a hex shaft format then no problem with chuck sizes. I know some guys who have replaced all they bits/drill with hex shanks. So much easier and the Kress angle attachment gets in real tight using hex stubby augers or flat bits - far tighter thana DeWalt or Makita angle drill. Look at the bottom picture here. The Wickes version is all grey.

Doctor Drivel

For 12mm anchor bolts, for the framework for an air-conditioner compressor.

But yes, particularly impressed with DW cordless. It's effectively retired my corded B&D

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Worth looking at their high torque drill. It's a basic type - no hammer action etc - but has the very useful feature of a right angle drive adaptor. I bought it for that alone - but as just a drill it's very good with two excellent batteries and a decent charger. Not cheap, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Shit. I've just read that dribble's been tyre kicking in Wickes and recommends the same drill as me. But don't let that put anyone off - I've

*actually* got one and it's good.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Those combi drills are a waste of time. Impact Drivers are now affordable and pee all over those heavy cumbersome things. My advise for a complete drill kit is:

  1. An Impact Driver. Can drive in lag bolts with ease and small enough to use drilling between joists using short shaft hex drills and bits.
  2. A Wickes (Kress) 15.5 angle drill attachment drill. An angle drill and drill/driver all in one. See my other post for description.
  3. A 2kG SDS drill. The Wickes Pro (Kress).

Cost?

  1. Impact Drivers can be had for £99
  2. £120 for Kress drill
  3. SDS Wickes (Kress) drill for £99.

Total: £318 For three top quality pro tools that will do just about everything you want.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You bought it because I said so. He really does need to eff off.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The only thing you are consistent in 'saying so' is that Makita is crap. Otherwise your recommendations are just the same as adverts - one has to sort out the wheat from the chaff oneself.

Who is the 'he' you're refer to?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Make sure you do buy one!

Having promised my self one for our recent house move, I bought a 14V Black and Decker from Homebase with two batteries.

It's been wonderful. Frankly, one of the best tool purchases I've ever made. Not because of the particular model but simply that it was always to hand. Cordless is *SO* convenient.

So, made sure you do but a decent drill/driver. It really will make your life easier. Two fast charging batteries are worth getting. One charges while the other discharges...

As to the specific brand and model I see there's lots of advice going so I'll stop now!

Guy

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd snipped-for-privacy@crossflight.co.uk

Reply to
Guy Dawson

As we have just had confirmation of the move (next Tuesday) the issue has been brought to forefront of our minds. Thus I have sprung for the Makita plus impact driver. The theory being that I might need the impact driver now but I'm sure to get use out of it later. Also three batteries just seem to offer much more flexibility than two (OK so I know that means that I'll end with 2 flat batteries and a half charged one in the drill but I can dream of organisation)

Mr Screwfix should be scurrying around his little shop right now getting my stuff together.....

Cheers for all the advice

Mark

Reply to
Mark Spice

Mark

You may want to change the order. £140 for a Makita Impact Driver and drill/driver.

Doctor Drivel

It gives the price on the web page.

Reply to
Andy Hall