Cordless drill and DIY kit at B&Q

I just bought one of these drill and DIY kits from B&Q. I couldn't resist it, at only £27.98. Keyless chuck, variable torque settings, hammer action,14.4 volts, and loads of extras. Seems unbelievable value! The drill is a Performance, B&Q's own label I think. I don't need to use it a great deal, so I presume they are up to the job? How do you all rate them?

Reply to
Steve

It depends on what the job is, how well you expect the product to do it and for how long.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well yes, I know that :) I once bought a Performance angle-grinder, and did a small job with it. Next time I got it out, it didn't work. B&Q replaced it no problem. The same thing happened with the replacement, but the third one has been fine so far. Touchwood.

Reply to
Steve

You're *exactly* the type of person they're aimed at. And it will work fine for you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

"Steve" wrote in news:bt7o32$3v0ve$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-140165.news.uni-berlin.de:

i think you may have answered your own question!

I used to work in B&Q and this particular range was treated and sold as a sort of "value" product. I would tend to treat the Performance range as disposible... use once, then bin

Reply to
Sol

I've got 7 different bits of PPPro stuff and I've not had trouble with any of it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I bought the same drill about a month and a half ago. If you register it on the b and q site you get an extra years guarantee which is more than some of the top brands. I took along my mother to get 10% off the drill using her discount card. Err. she did want to go by the way. So about £24.

One of the best things about it is you get a spare battery so while your working with one, the other can be charging. You know your getting good value when the whole package is so heavy!

These 14.4v drills have battery packs that contain 12z 1.2v AA rechargable cells. So when you think about it, thats 24 rechargable batteries supplied. I believe these packages originally sold for £79.99 but have been promoted at £39.99 for a while and now are on clearance.

I've used it a fair bit now and no problems so far. Friend bought a Bosch drill back along and that went wrong on the first go. I don't think any drill is as well made as they used to be. My corded drill is a Bosch of about 21 years old and still going strong. It can tackle any job with ease and never sounds like its straining.This is easily beaten by a friend's father's drill. Its a black and decker of about

35 years old I think with a metal case. Made in england and still working well even though it looks old as hell. A job to hold it in your hand for too long though.I'm estimating the age but he did say he had a Ford Zephyr (or might have been Zodiac) when he bought it.
Reply to
Martin Wilson

I my experience Bosch are vastly overrated and overpriced.

Reply to
IMM

What about the PP Pro range?

Reply to