Cordless Drill

I am looking at getting a new cordless drill: budget up to £200. Obviously I have looked elsewhere for reviews/comments etc. But I would value suggestions based on experience please.

(What are typical charge holding periods eg if the drill is not used for a few days)

Reply to
fixer

I've had a pair of Hitachi 18v Li-ion drill/drivers for the last 6 months or so and very pleased so far £150 from screwfix at the time. Charge retention is very good and important to me as a hobby user. Previous Nicad tools were always flat when I wanted them.

I would have gone for Makita but I'd seen some reports of their newer batteries having poorer performance than ones they used to supply - alleged change of cell supplier.

Another key feature for me are models with all metal gears - some have partial plastic ones.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You dont really tell us what you want. Light weight, high battery capacity, masonry drilling etc etc.

If you get rock bottom quality batteries they hold charge for a month or so . Anything half decent will be good months later.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've not known any which would self discharge in a few days.

You need to be more specific. If you intend using it a lot, one with two batteries and a quick re-charge would make sense. If you only want it for the odd hole once in a while, perhaps not worth paying for that.

The snag with paying a lot for a little used cordless tool is that all batteries have a limited life. You might be better with a Lidl offering and be prepared to throw it away after a few years - they come with a 3 year warranty. They have a nice little Li-ion one for 30 quid this Monday.

1 hour charge.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a Makita LXT 18V combi drill with 3AHr lithium battery I got from Sfx about 3 years ago for around 150 quid including a pretty robust case. It has stood up pretty well to a lot of service and holds a lot of charge very well. As it happens, I'm writing this while I'm waiting for it to recharge (20mins), which is the first time I've had to charge it in ages. Obviously, if you were doing a major job with a lot of usage (eg building a large deck) it might not see you through the job without recharging but then again 20mins is a convenient break anyway.

Reply to
GMM

Many thanks

Reply to
fixer

GMM wrote in news:KLSdndyVBaMmZA snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Is it worth questioning you need for "cordless". With a mains tool the life is fairly infinite! You are not paying for charger and batteries - so possibly beeter value.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

On 07 Jun 2014, fixer grunted:

I bought a Makita a few years ago for about ?90, and it has been used reasonably regularly ever since. It came with 3 NiCd batteries, which I immediately numbered, and I use them in strict rotation, charging up each one as soon as it's run out.

When I swap batteries, I've never had concerns that the fresh one I pick hasn't held its charge properly, even though it could have been many weeks since it was charged. It's very rare that I've had to change a battery more than once within a day; but to be fair I don't tend to give it protracted use.

I'd certainly recommend a Makita any time.

Reply to
Lobster

On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 12:33:40 GMT, Lobster >I'd certainly recommend a Makita any time.

OT just a thought. I wonder if it's worthwhile seeking out new cells and just replacing the ones in the original plastic casing? The casing (quality ones) must be some cost in themselves. Getting the cells might not be so easly though :-)

Reply to
dave

Unless you buy them by the million, they are likely to cost more than a complete pack. If they are of the same quality.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cordless: not as powerful as mains, much more expensive, very heavy. I have several but only use them where I have to. I find a better way to do various jobs in the yard, etc, is a combination of a small mains drill and one of these.

Or buy the £60 one if you're trying to keep costs down.

It's far better to have the powerpack at the bottom of the ladder and a light tool in your hand. Also the powerpack is so incredibly useful for other things. Powerful emergency torch, during power cuts, inflating tyres, etc.

Obviously you can't use a powerpck for a massive 700W drill, but although rated at 300W I find mine is OK with a 450W drill.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You may find a special offer on a drill with batteries that fit for less than just the batteries.I got two one+ lithium batteries a charger and a quite decent drill + bag for £90 even if I did have to go to b&q.

Reply to
dennis

In theory, as I assume you know the problem with these things is that they are not that efficient, but I guess for small jobs that is not important. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Excellent - many thanks

Reply to
fixer

I prefer to have both: a mains hammer drill for the meatier jobs - and then a cordless for smaller jobs and screwdriving. There are many small jobs where it is so much easier to get out the cordless

Reply to
fixe

Many thanks.

Reply to
fixer

Thanks

Reply to
fixe

Depending on what voltage kit you are looking at, you could have a top end tool from most of the usual suspects.

That is a function of the battery chemistry and also the quality. NiMh & NiCd have quite high auto discharge rates, Li-Ion far less so.

Reply to
John Rumm

Three batts is the answer for constant use. One in use, one cooling, and one charging.

If doing mixed work with say a drill and an impact driver, then you can still work pretty much flat out with three batts and two tools.

Reply to
John Rumm

Every time I have looked at doing that, the cost of decent cells has added up to more than the price of a new pack.

Reply to
John Rumm