Cordless combi drills

> For an extra 50 quid you get a third NiMh battery and a Makita fleece.

£187 for a drill. Madness!!!!!!!!!!
Reply to
IMM

I spent more than that on my one, and found it represented very good value.

Still, I don't expect you to understand...

Reply to
John Rumm

Absolutely. I'm dealing with rechargeable batteries all the time work wise and long ago found out that seemingly identical ones are anything but. The cells they use in cheap drills are rubbish and *will* fail after a short time. Decent tools use decent cells which will last.

I'm not against cheap cordless drills provided you know what you're letting yourself in for. I've got several, and all have had battery problems in short order.

Replacing the cells with decent ones not only results in a decent life, but also considerably improves the drill performance, due to higher peak current. Of course the charger may well need modifying to either an intelligent or trickle charge type, as a cheap charger can damage even decent cells. But this all can cost more than the price of an entire cheap drill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks John. I note that some include 2 and others 3 batteries. Interestingly while most vendors are selling around the 230 mark but include 3 batteries - a few are selling it for this price (or more) and only include 2 batteries! For my personal use - 2 will likely be sufficient and I prefer to save the difference.

Lurch's comments on Power Tools UK are very helpful - and should be useful for future google searches. When I googled uk.d-i-y on their web address I only found one thread in which someone complained that they hadn't received their goods and enquired whether they were still trading! Therefore these comments are most reassuring. Have ordered the Makita 18V. Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
mjbarnard

I have this one, and have not run into any problems with running it quite hard with two batteries.

I also have the smaller 14.4v one and that just about managed with two, but three was comfortable.

Both chargers work well, so no real issue.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Why not consider Metabo too, they have some good models which are probably a little cheaper as well.

Reply to
usenet

In article , IMM writes

I can't be a "loonpot", since individual.net agreed with my complaint (BI > 40 by this point) and pulled your account. Which is why you're now posting from Tiscali.

HTH. HAND. FOAD.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

You are a loonpot.

Reply to
IMM

In article , IMM writes

Nope, you're a loonpot (whatever that is) who abused his individual.net account and lost it. As you've lost it before and will again in the future. Sweet dreams.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I'm absolutely intrigued (yawn) to know what IMM thinks he achieves by the 'snip drivel' thingie?

Anyone searching a thread on Google will still read what he's 'snipping', and anyone sad enough to search IMM would get a bit bored with post after post the same?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You a total idiot!

to open account

Reply to
IMM

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

No idea. But if he continues he'll lose his Tiscali account as well.

He's in my killfile, since nothing the Inept Moron of Misinformation posts is worth reading. I use Google groups to search for his snip drivel posts to determine their BI.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

More Tomfoolery. Not worth reading any further.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

You need your head examined

-- <snip drivel>

Reply to
<snip drivel>

I agree. I wish this sort would p*** off from DIYbanter for good. can't remember him contributing anything constructive

-- Hands On

Reply to
Hands On

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

He's been doing the same for years though, there's a thread in one of the football ngs where he replied to every post with "stupid jock", he has various mo's which make him easy to spot and reverts to type without too much bother, I have a list of his various pseudonyms somewhere, you would think he would have grown up a bit by now though... he used to put in his sig that he had a computer science degree (honours)

Reply to
.

I don't go on footy groups. More confusion by the simple minded here.

This weirdo has a list!! Another Roger (Tom Foolery himself), who probably stalks too. "Stupid Jocks" I know some are. The dimmest I came across were in Aberdeen; such an awful place.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

He's very similar to Doug Bollen from uk.transport.

Reply to
Huge

Not so. IMM is similar to James Bond.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

In article , IMM writes

You're not "News" then John?

and with your Scottish heritage too John, tsk tsk

Reply to
.