Corded general-purpose drill - recommendations?

As subject line really. I've had a "Black & Decker GD3098K 13mm, 2-Speed Industrial Percussion" drill since I was 18 and it's finally given up the ghost. Mind you, I can't complain as I'm now 50, so it's given 32 years of brilliant service :o)

Because of a health problem the amount of DIY I do these days isn't half as much as I used to do so I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, say, £100 or so.

Oh, and if anyone happens to mention a make and model that's available in Homebase stores that may be an added bonus as I've got a "15% off" voucher that can be used this weekend.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John

I've still got my first B&D bought in '63. ;-) Two speed non hammer with a half inch chuck bought from Marble Arch Motors in Shepherd's Bush. Cost 1

1/2 weeks wages...

I think you'd be hard pushed to pay that much even for a 'top' make and I'd not say it's necessary since it sounds like it won't get a hammering.

Even with 15% off Homebase are usually more expensive than say Screwfix.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Homebase have offers on several Bosch drills at the moment. From 90 to

140 quid.

Bosch are a decent half way home between Fein and Aldi. :)

Reply to
EricP

George

Screwfix are offering

for £49.99.

All I need in an excuse to buy one. I have 9 other drills but none of them are mains powered percussion.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

do it for the same price.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

No hammer action though. :-(

Reply to
George

I have noticed lots of things that *say* not available in store (certainly at Homebase) - but actually are. Don't actually understand why they do that but it means you have to check in the store in order to be sure.

Reply to
Rod

Are you sure?

I will buy you a pint if I am wrong.

Switch 4 on the top looks to me that it makes it a hammer action drill. No drill can can have a recommended concrete drilling width if it is not a hammer drill. I could put a masonry bit in my £350 Makita drill and it will not even mark concerete without the hammer action.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rod" Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 7:24 PM Subject: Re: Corded general-purpose drill - recommendations?

That is interesting. I do not use Homebase very often.

Thanks

Adam .org>

Reply to
ARWadworth

Thanks all, couple of good recommendations there chaps :o)

John

Reply to
John

If the linked instruction manual (on Screwfix) is the right one, it is percussion.

Reply to
Rod

Neither do I - far too expensive.

Reply to