Cord length on power tools

How little you know...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why did you buy it if the flex length was so important?

Of course. Although Lidl own brand tend to come with adequate length leads

- as well as being pretty well made at the price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, it was a black and decker brand they toyed with for a bit when they wanted to go a bit more high end, before they decided to focus that range of products into acquisitions like Elu and DeWalt.

Reply to
John Rumm

=A0 London SW

To me the length of the cable, and the quality of it, reflect the quality of the tool. Good tools have long, soft, flexible cables. Cheap tools have short stiff cables which appear to get stiffer with age

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

e changing the bit. =A0You don't need to turn it off twice. =A0Even if you = want to, most sockets have a switch beside them.

If they had a long cord then the switch would be too far away.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

hat I'd fit my own cable. =A0A soldering iron is a heater on a stick, it sh= ouldn't be expensive.

You don't do much soldering then.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

My green Bosch has the same.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

e:

Man at B&Q

hat I'd fit my own cable. =A0A soldering iron is a heater on a stick, it sh= ouldn't be expensive.

Depends on what you want..... As I work in a teaching lab I buy 24V ones (with silicon cable) about =A318 and =A335 for the PSU. But for some jobs you need something a little more than a heater on a stick ;-)

whisky-dave

e used to cut along a long piece of wood, and a cable shorter than the wood= is silly!

electric shocks! =A0By standing on them when they are upturned!

Even worse should you sit on one, unoless you're into that sort of thing.

or breaks the item in the box.

Is that a good thing though, if you're falling off a ladder do you really want the power still applied to whatever you're holding. Tool wise that is ;-) DIY tool.... and I dont; mean master bating

stationary. Fluorescent tubing was dimmed in light trading. Knives were up = sharply. Cows steered into a bull market. Pencils lost a few points. Hiking= equipment was trailing. Elevators rose, while escalators continued their s= low decline. Weights were up in heavy trading. Light switches were off. Min= ing equipment hit rock bottom. Diapers remain unchanged. Shipping lines sta= yed at an even keel. The market for raisins dried up. Coca Cola fizzled. Ca= terpillar stock inched up a bit. Sun peaked at midday. Balloon prices were = inflated. And, Scott Tissue touched a new bottom. Invest wisely!

Reply to
whisky-dave

I don't do regular sleep patterns.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

That would probably be the same jigsaw I have! It was good for a number of years till the blade guide refused to tighten properly, now I can't get straight cuts and the blades snap often.

Trustworthy people make mistakes.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Depends what you mean by short.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Oh, you're none of THOSE people. You got a Merc too?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Maybe it wasn't shown on the website?

Indeed - so it is possible.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

In article , polygonum writes

That's exactly what I do. I fit an IEC C14 male plug to the tool and use a standard 3m BS1363 13A plug to IEC C13 cable, which is common as muck.

The advantage is that if the cable snags, or I try and stretch it too much, or someone trips over it, the plug disconnects.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Bingo ... exactly what I have. Problem is, the cable connector has been strained at some point and the connection within the non-strippable connector is intermittent, leading to an insulating tape and lollipop stick splint arrangement to keep it connected. If I could find another lead everything would be hunky-dory, but the non-standard connector makes things difficult.

Reply to
grimly4

Which is partly true, and not just power tools, but anything that plugs in (except extension leads, which can break all the rules).

In most of the EU, there's no fuse in the plug, and the socket outlet is protected at 16A. If you short-out the flex at the power tool end, the flex has to have low enough resistance to allow enough current to flow to quickly trip the 16A circuit protection. This means the flex either has to be short, or it needs to be quite chunky, in either case to keep the resistance low. The EU Common Market for products means this applies to products sold in the UK, even though our fused plug can give better protection in our case.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

All mine have 2pin 10A duraplugs

Reply to
Andy Burns

hat I'd fit my own cable. =A0A soldering iron is a heater on a stick, it sh= ouldn't be expensive.

The last soldering iron I bought cost =A3265 plus VAT - admittedly it was for work, not DIY. It probably saved that much in time saved in the first few months. When you're making joints on components with pins at less than 1mm between centres your heater on a stick has to be a good one ;)

Reply to
docholliday