Cord length on power tools

fortune on one!

The good kit is from when I was doing stuff professionally - it really pays to have better quality. Since I packed that in, I've indulged in a new Makita SDS and Makita

9" angle grinder, but most of the other motorised toolery in the past year has been Aldidly, as that's good enough for working on my own place.
Reply to
grimly4

Good idea. A kettle lead would be brilliant, but maybe with a clip as it will get yanked. We already have IEC and hot IEC, why not a third one called clipped IEC?

Seen an orbital sander with such a thing, but it was not a common connector.

Nein.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

a fortune on one!

I suppose it depends on how much you mileage are going to do with it. But then again, you can get expensive ones that don't last as long as they should, then you are out of pocket. I don't mind breaking the odd cheap drill.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Try buying decent quality ones. Even Lidl's own brand come with adequate length leads.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A decent soldering iron cable has silicone insulation - which doesn't melt easily.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I prefer it that way I think; I don't want big loops of cable hanging around when I'm working on stuff on the bench. When I need extra reach, it's easy to add an extension cable.

But of course we get sensible-sized plugs this side of the Pond rather than the humungous ones in the UK, so a connection between an extension cable and the tool's plug isn't a big bulky thing :-) (US 2-pin plugs are the devil's bum grapes, but I much prefer the 3-pin ones to earthed UK plugs)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Bloody good idea - I have an old B&D Pro 4.5" AG with exactly that - never came across any other tool in the B&D range with it, though.

Reply to
grimly4

CPC do locking IEC connectors. Personally I think detachable leads would be more of a nuisance, having to go and find a longer/shorter one.

My blue Bosch SDS is nice and long; no need for an extension lead hanging half way up the ladder.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

I have one tool with a detachable lead - an old proline 115mm angle grinder. Confuses the hell out of everyone, especially when they forget to lock it in place and it falls out!

Reply to
John Rumm

If its a nice flexible heavyish rubber cable that drapes where its put and does not fight you as you move it about, then its a non issue since the extra just stays where you pile it. Blue bosch, fein, some makita stuff has that and it works very nicely.

Not much use for plugging in a 2kW router though ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

The lead length and the quality of the actual tool are not linked.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I'm not going to pay more for one with a silicone cable. If I needed that I'd fit my own cable. A soldering iron is a heater on a stick, it shouldn't be expensive.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

You wouldn't have to go find a longer/shorter one if you always used the same length. You fit the one you want and leave it there. But you still have the option to change it if you encounter a different job. Or if you cut through it!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Is that the same proline that made VCRs?

I've got a "power 4 life" angle grinder. Dirt cheap but works perfectly. I've sliced through loads of stuff with it and it shows no signs of wear. Just cut a whole load of monoblocks with it too - and those things are tough!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

The extra cable would sit on the floor. But for example a jigsaw may be used to cut along a long piece of wood, and a cable shorter than the wood is silly!

What do you mean?

The main problem with UK plugs is they cause more injuries per year than electric shocks! By standing on them when they are upturned!

And posting one is a nuisance. It always breaks through the packaging or breaks the item in the box.

But I do like the way they don't pull out of the wall if they get yanked.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

My router uses 6 watts.... Oh THAT kind of router! A ROWter not a ROOter. Mind you can the Americans distinguish these two in speech?

The low voltage in the US must be a nuisance. More current. Bigger cables.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Shouldn't you be in bed by now?

Reply to
brass monkey

Do not confuse "expensive consumer tool" with "professional tool".

That's valid. I've gone along way with a green Bosch jigsaw for off jobs, but the truth is it does not cut particularly well, but it cuts. It's OK for flooring, but cutting shelves needs a lot of work squaring up the cuts.

I will upgrade to a pro jigsaw soon with a solid sole plate and reciprocating action that can actually manage to cut at 90 degrees to the work reliably.

I usually do not lend good tools out, unless I trust the recipent.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've a Stanley Bridges drill, about 40 years old, with about 5m of flex. A later B&D drill, now dead, had a flex so short that I couldn't drill into the picture rail directly above a socket - it put me off B&D for life, so A GOOD THING.

The Makita and Bosch tools have a reasonable length of flex, so perhaps it is just cheap tools.

Reply to
PeterC

Can you name a high quality one with a short lead? Unless expected to be only used on a workbench with adjacent socket.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)