Copper to plastic?

My mum has asked me to renovate her bathroom. The old suite is out and the wastes for the sink and bath are made from copper and jointed into the soil stack that is boxed in (in the corner of the room). I have measured these as well as I can with a tape and they appear to be around 32 -35 mm diameter, I will get an accurate measurement when I go back tomorrow with my vernier. My question is has anybody ever seen this set up before and is it possible to get a connector to fit on the copper and then I can work in 'normal' plastic? If they are actually 32mm will the standard push fit connector for wastes be OK or will there be a reaction between the copper and the rubber O ring?

TIA

John

Reply to
John

You can get a compression fitting to join copper waste to regular plastic. I've done this on two wastes in the last year or so - got the fittings from B&Q.

Copper can be a catalyst for deterioration of rubbers but at the tempertures involved in wastes I doubt there will be any problem in any timescale you need to worry about.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

Polypropylene push fit waste to BS5254 has the same outside diameter as copper waste pipe, the fittings will work equally well on both. Be aware that although the majority of manufacturers make waste systems to BS5254, there is another British Standard, BS5255 which is not compatible with copper.

Compression waste fittings (including waste traps etc.) will also work on copper as well as both BS5254 & BS5255 waste pipe.

For a fuller explanation see a previous post: -

Hepworth Plumbing Products Team

-- Tel: +44 (0)1709 856 300 |Hepworth Plumbing Products Fax: +44 (0)1709 856 301 |Edlington Lane, Edlington Email: snipped-for-privacy@hepworthplumbing.co.uk |Doncaster, UK

|DN12 1BY

Reply to