Copper 'street' fittings

B&Q have taken to selling what they call Cu 'street' style in endfeed solder fittings. These have a normal size adapter female fit at one end and at the other a tube size male fit. One store I use doesn't offer what I regard as normal female-female type except on straight couplers and 90deg bends.

I can see that sometimes these fittings can save space but it won't be often. Mostly an additional standard (ie female-female) coupler is needed to continue the pipe run.

Am I missing or not understanding something?

TIA

Reply to
marbles

Yes. The male end goes into the fitting that needs adjustment (either solder or compression). You don't use them to change pipe size in the middle of a run, only at the end, where there is a fitting of the wrong size that can swallow the "pipe" sized end of the reducer. Indeed, in my experience, they are much more useful than femalefemale.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from "marbles" contains these words:

You can get a mandrel tool which expands the end of a pipe so the street fitting plugs into it.

However, in the case of BQ it's probably 'cos some arse in head office has noticed they're marginally cheaper so is flogging them while not understanding what the difference is.

Reply to
Guy King

Just another fitting, used where the fitter finds it useful.

Only in that you're buying fittings in B&Q. Try

or Screwfix.

Reply to
Aidan

only if you want Mad Cow Disease. The OP could try
if he want plumbing bits ;-)

HTH

John

Reply to
John

and they're open on Sundays? ;-)

Thanks for the replies: I fear it's that head office idiot who's behind it....

No one said what 'street' means or refers to in this context. Anyone know?

Reply to
marbles

If you have one of those then you don't actually need a fitting at all in many cases. Just stick the unexpanded pipe end into the socket created by the tool.

Reply to
John Rumm

marbles wrote: > No one said what 'street' means or refers to in this context. Anyone

It means that one end of the fitting is a pipe size male to fit directly into another (normal female) fitting, so you can have two (or more) fittings joined together without adding little stubs of pipe to connect them together.

Reply to
Bolted

Interesting point - I've known that an elbow with a male and female end is referred to as a street elbow, but not where the term comes from.

I'm surprised at B&Q stocking them - you don't tend to need them that often.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, but that surely is only for use for manipulative joints using soft (Table Y) tube, not normal Table X tube.

And why "street"?

Reply to
Andy Wade

You can use them on table X after annealing it. But that is a bit of a fiddle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When water mains were first run to houses the iron pipe has a tee for each house. The tee was usually facing upwards and an M&F elbow fitted directly on the tee, which could be turned to the appropriate house. So an M&F elbow became a street elbow.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Quite believable - had it come from someone who could be trusted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thinking on it's probably rubbish since it would mean an internal and external thread on the same elbow - and I've not seen this on any old barrel work. Unless a *real* expert can confirm it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, steel/iron street elbows exist.

't know if that's the origin of the term; I read the same explanation on a US-based forum.

Reply to
Aidan

Richard Cranium, this is encouraging. The pills the warden gave you must be working.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Richard Cranium is now replying to himself. Sad isn't it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel