copper sheeting

The pikeys have just removed part of the copper from our local library roof, the easiest bit to get to. The council contractors have erected scaffolding to allow it to be replaced but, in the meantime, it would seem to have made it easier for the pikeys to go up and get the rest. I think the scaffolding is alarmed, but it's an out-of-the way location where nobody would take much notice. My question is, isn't there some kind of alternative roofing material they could use? It's quite likely the site will be sold off as part of the cuts (having just spent vast sums creating disabled access), but this copper business could cost them loads in the interim. Maybe extending the cctv system up on to the roof would be the answer

Reply to
stuart noble

There are liquid polymer systems designed to replace copper.

Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Thanks for that. And I assume that coating the existing copper would also render it unsaleable as scrap.

Reply to
stuart noble

As long as it is not a listed building they may be able to use different materials. There are numerous churches that have to replace the stolen lead from the roof with new lead for the pikeys to keep taking because the regulations do not permit use of any other material.

Reply to
Tinkerer

there's also aluminium

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I would expect any coating to burn off when the copper was melted down. In any case, it would pobably be more sensible to strip the copper off and sell it legally for scrap, rather than use it as a base for the new coating.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

There used to be a product called Nuralite which was a bitumen bonded fibre sheet. I think it may no longer be on the market.

Reply to
cynic

Or zinc.

Both about 1/4th cost of copper ATM at about =A32.50/kg with copper a shade under =A310/kg.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, I suppose it's no different to the pvc on cable

Reply to
stuart noble

BIL is a vicar and has had the lead stolen three times from the same church roof. Despite protest from English heritage he had it replaced with stainless steel and that has not been touched, despite signs of another attempted theft shortly after the last replacement.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

You want something to (1) ensure the integrity of the roof, (2) possibly remain aesthetically pleasing and (3) be either pikey resistant or not worth the pikey b*stards stealing. Think outside the box, there are plenty of solutions available. N.

Reply to
Nick

Render the pikeys down and treat the roof with pikey fat.

Reply to
Huge