Copper & Plastic plumbing - freely mixing and matching?

Exactly!

Reply to
IMM

Tsk, tsk!

Reply to
IMM

Since your wrong about so much, why should you be right about this?

Carry on making a fool of yourself. With your hacksaw and Stanley knife.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So someone who cut a pipe this way and managed to cause a flood is probably incompetent?

Reply to
Stephen Gower

No. If pipe cut properly that is not incompetence. Duh!

Reply to
IMM

As you know nothing about heating and water system you would not know what is right or wrong. Duh!

Reply to
IMM

When faced with a similar _problem_ ^W opportunity ... I did attempt plastic to chrome joint: it failed under pressure with the plastic fitting easing off the slippery chrome. I de-chromed the end by using one of those pipe-end cleaners - it's a plastic tube -gauged for 15mm one end and

22mm at t'other- each end has flap-style abrasive thingies; push the pipe into appropriate end and twist aggressively- result shiny copper for the correct depth for jointing. Second time around with what was now Copper~Plastic; no problems.
Reply to
Brian Sharrock

"IMM" wrote | Here is this Plowman giving advise on CH..read on... | This what he wears, yes he does...he said... | "Well, I got a rather flash pair of DeWalt boots from TLC, so there.;-)" | Sad isn't it. Big yellow boots. Yes. big yellow boots.

What is wrong with yellow boots? I expect they're very useful for seeing where your feet are in the dark.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In article , IMM writes

I was suggesting this as a protection against abuse/accident rather other kinds of movement.

Reply to
fred

While you're there, why not pick up the proper tool

£5.32 inc VAT. I paid about £8 for mine from the local PM.

When using these cutters, cut with a slight rotation of the tool. It makes the blade cut much easier, and squashes the tube less.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Hep has these as well, and very useful they are.

Another tip: Are you sure you put an insert in the end of that pipe yesterday? Put a mark on the pipe with a marker pen as soon as you slip the insert in. Then you can go back later and be re-assured when you see the mark is there. Before I adopted that technique I had to undo a few to double-check that I did fit the insert.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

They'd help aiming at IMM's arse, too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I paid about £5.80 IIRC, I don't know where John gets his £15 ones from, they're probably Dewalt...

Reply to
David

I know where my feet are.

Reply to
IMM

I have now read the instructions on the packaging (rtfm?) and see they explicitly advise NOT to use plastic connectors with chrome-plated copper tube.

The plumbing for the towel rail is in place and all seems fine - I'm off to do the same for the hot and cold water.....

Thanks to evryone for lots of useful advice.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Stacey

Cirrus?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Speedfit! No way - use Hep2O instead and worry less about leaks.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

I've never had problems with any of the major brands, including Speedfit.

Reply to
Andy Hall

restriction?

Marley Equator and Osma Gold have the edge.

Reply to
IMM

restriction?

You have only used a few foot of the stuff. Duh!

Reply to
IMM