Copper pipe joining ... (Without a sleeve)

So have been doing a bit of plumbing recently to install a new hot water tank and tidying up a lot of old stuff leftover from what appears to be many years of job on job on job ... And I've found quite a few pipe joins that are made without a sleeve - they have expanded one ond of a pipe just enough to push the next section in, then solder.

Is this a technique of olden times as I'm not sure I've seen it before.

It does seem to make for a neater join with only one soldering required as opposed to both sides of a sleeve... Is there a magic tool to expand the end of the pipe without it splitting?

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson
8<

dennis

It's an expanded pipe joint. They never were that common with water plumbing, and with time being money nowadays and the common fittings costing peanuts, verses the time spent expanding the pipe and the thought you have to put into doing it before installing the pipe, it's well out of favour now with regular plumbing. Still used with aircon pipework though.

Yes, a tube expander.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It was certainly more common with the softer copper tubing of old.

Yes. But IIRC pretty expensive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Guess I didn't google for the obvious then !!!

Thanks (And to denis@home)

£210 for the gadget... Shiny new toy... but I think I'll stick to sleeves!

Thanks,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I've got the hand-tool version. It has two sliding formers (15mm + 22mm) and works a bit like a slide hammer with a hammer. It's hard work and not really worth the effort most of the time.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

A lot of old plumbers did it. I made the tool for 15mm pipe in an electric drill years ago for curiosity.

It was simply to save on the cost of fittings and took only a few seconds to do.

It did make really nice elegent joints as well.

Reply to
ericp

As I said it was easier with the older soft copper pipe. Annealing modern stuff would probably help. But as you say probably not worth the bother.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and 1 fewer joint per, er, join.

Reply to
PeterC

In message , Gordon Henderson writes

Yes, its not what a professional would use

The proper (cheaper ones) are hammered home to expand the pipe to create a sleeve. I used one when I last replaced my boiler

Reply to
geoff

Now that we all have SDSes, I wonder if the method might be worth revisiting.

NT

Reply to
NT

When I bought my last house some years back I inherited masses of 1" pipe in good nick, which encouraged me to turn up on the lathe a simple 'wack it with a hammer' pipe expander to convert to metric sizes. Worked a dream. I made it stepped to accomodate 28mm 22mm &

15mm - still have it somewhere - only really applicable on longish pipes to get the 'back inertia' when you thwack it!. Anneal the pipe well and you get a good neat joint.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Was the inheritance a coincidence?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

message

Previous owner of the house was the heating contractor who fitted out Heathrow term 3 when it was built, and had used 1" copper in nice long lengths all over the house that bore a remarkable similarity to that at the airport!. When I re-boilered and relaid out the heating system (in perhaps 1984) the heavy guage Imperial copper was far to good to chuck - anyway the budget was VERY tight, just like me

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson