Copper pipe and plastering

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been answered before as I seeem to remember a similar thread, but I've lost it! I need to install approx 12" of copper pipe in a chase in a plastered breezeblock wall, but remember someone mentioning that you shouldn't plaster over copper pipe. Isd this OK, or would chrome pipe be better?

Best Wishes, Dave

Reply to
David Bennett

Just paint the pipe in underseal or wrap it in duct tape to keep the plaster off it.

Reply to
EricP

Thanks Eric, hadn't thought of that!!!

Reply to
David Bennett

Personally I'd never bury copper pipe in a solid wall unless really, absolutely necessary - can't you box it in some way?

I thought it was just mortar (ie cement), rather than plaster, which attacked copper - am I wrong on that?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Well, it should be easy enough to arrange for it not to have any joints concealed?

My place had both lead for water and iron barrel for gas pipes plastered in. And both seemed to have lasted for 100 years or so. ;-)

I'd fit it inside PVC tube or trunking. If there were issues between copper, PVC and plaster I'd have said we'd have heard about them by now.;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its copper pipe in cement thats the problem. I think it also needs water/damp as well to attack the copper, which is why a lot off people get away with it.

Reply to
Ian_m