copper nails for roofing?

a friend of a freind has recommended that when i get my roof reslated i specify copper nails, as if there are any slipped slates these are a lot easier to remove than the standard nails.

is this a good idea?

is there anything else i could specify to make the job better than average, type of felt?

(as i wont be using the loft space i think boarding it would be an unnecessary expense, and plan to insulate above the ceilings not along the angle of the roof.. but i may be wrong..)

thanks, george

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Best place to start is with a roofing company that wouldn't compromise on quality!

Ask to see an example of the slates they intend to use. I had Spanish, and very good. Check out an example of their work and talk to the owner. More expensive are reclaims (less expensive is Chinese). My roofers reckoned artificial slate wasn't something they would want to use.

It's the detailing on a roof that takes time - and makes the difference. Good quality leadwork especially (again my roofers didn't think too much of the poorer quality lead flashings that came with my Velux windows - compared with the stuff they chose to use) . They also used copper clouts for all the slates.

If you're in North or West Norfolk, I can *highly* recommend these guys:

dom

Slates only slip if the nails fail... A slate might crack and need replacement but that isn't what I'd a call a slipped slate but a broken one. B-)

Copper is the traditional material for the nails on a slate roof. I'm under the impression that the reason is that copper doesn't corrode like steel does. I've also heard that galvanised clouts corrode where the slates run the zinc away. When our roof was done there was a mixture of copper and galvanised clouts holding the old slates on both where performing equally and they had been up there a good few years.

Use one of the modern breathable membranes, stronger and rot resistant compared to normal bitumen based sarking.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Copper nails seem to have been superseded by Aluminium ones on the jobs I've seen over the last few years.

Reply to
cynic

Is there a reason to use copper rather than stainless?

(This is a question from ignorance rather than advice!)

Reply to
Rod

Copper is softer than stainless. This will make them easier to rip/cut out with a slaters ripper when you need to replace a sliped/broken slate.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks - that makes sense. But surely not much different to galvanised - where they have not corroded significantly?

Reply to
Rod

Galvanised clouts are soft iron not steel. Still tougher than copper but not as strong as stainless.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dear George In addition to the other reasons above - all correct - there is yet another reason to use copper or aluminium (both are acceptable) and that is "corrosion" (metallic displacement? by a metal higher up in the activity series???) with the salts in the tanalised battens IF they have been used. Chris G

Reply to
mail

Also makes sense. Thanks.

Reply to