Coping stone overlap recomendations

Hi,

I'm building a retaining garden wall out of 6" (140mm) hollow dense concete blocks. I intend to render one side of the wall to a depth of

10-20mm. I'm looking for advice as to what size coping stone to adorn the top of the wall i.e. how much overhang should I have on each side?

Wall + render will be approx 150mm wide + (2 x overhang) = ?

The standard options tend to be 180mm, 225mm, 280mm or 335mm. I think that others may be availible but, I don't know what size to look for.

Any advice?

Reply to
Anonymous

The 180mm ones are for a single wall. the 225mm are for a double wall. You have a single wall, so use the 180mm ones....it doesn't matter how much or how little overhang there is, as it's only there for decoration, but if it were mine, I would make sure there's about 30mm overlapping the front, where it is likely to be painted render - the back is irrelevant for a retaining wall.

Reply to
Phil L

I once did similar on a dwarf wall and went for wide coping stones (probably 280mm) so the wall also became a comfortable seat. The seat was used a lot as it turned out ... so if your wall is a suitable height and in a suitable location ...

Anna

-- Anna Kettle Lime plaster repair and conservation Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc Tel:    (+44)  01359 230642 Mob:  (+44)  07976 649862 Please look at my website for examples of my work at:

Anna Kettle

Dear M (ex M15?) There is a BRE DAS guide on these dimensions - from memory the key thing is to get the drip groove about 30 (?) mm from the wall edge both sides other than that it does not appear to matter much as the greater the overhang the greater the protection - subject of course to the aesthetics! Chris

Reply to
mail

Thanks to you all for your responses. I 'lost' the thread for a while as I couldn't pick it up at work for some reason but have once again found it. Phil's advice sounds perfectly reasonable, so all I have to do now is source the stones!

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
Anonymous