Cooling fan for Toshiba Laptop

I bought a Toshiba Satellite 1670CDS new some years ago and it has given very good service. Today the cooling fan started making nasty mechanical noises for a minute or two and then it stopped. Seems to me it has self destructed!

Please can anybody suggest where I might procure a fan for this model - and if it could be a DIY job to fit it?

Thanks...

Reply to
Malcolm H

Ebay for spares or repair type laptop.

This machine is easy to replace the fan as its a case of unscrewing 2 or 3 screws securing the keyboard underneath marked with a *K* then take of the keyboard and unscrew the heatsink on top of the cpu and the fan is mounted on the heatsink.

The other fan sits on the right hand side corner and is easy to remove,this is the internal sub power supply cooling fan.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Thank you for that info Sir Ben. I have removed 3 screws marked with a K but something else seems to be securing the keyboard. Is there something else I need to know?

Reply to
Malcolm H

There is usually on Toshiba lap tops a thin removable plastic strip at the top of the keyboard covering 2 screws.

Reply to
curious

Hah! yes sorry,as curious pointed out the strip(the piece with indicators and power button) at the top of the keyboard has to be prised of, if grab the top center of it and pull towards you you should be able to release it from its securing lugs(plastic) this means flipping the screen lid completly flat with the base unit. Once this is of it will reveal anothe 2 or 3 screws at the top of the keyboard. Sorry for that as I done so many lappys in the past cant remember where every screw is. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby