Cooling fan around oven carcass

Hello,

This flat's fitted kitchen we've moved into has a fitted oven. As well as its internal fan, it has an external one that seems to be a rotating cylinder located at the top back corner which blows air forwards over the top of the oven carcass and out a horizontal slot above the oven door. Presumably, it helps lessen the minimum space required above the oven.

Problem is, SWMBO has worked out that quite a bit of dust and fluff is being blown out of said slot over her newly-cleaned kitchen and is unimpressed. Removing the kick-board shows that the area behind the units wasn't cleaned of building/decorating mess and is thick with dust and cobwebs. Further, there's the odd hole into the floor void where pipes run through and the external air pressure means you can see the cobwebs billowing with air from these holes.

I can't stop the fan running, and I can't dismantle the kitchen to clean it up and block the holes, so SWMBO's probably lumbered, unless anyone's a bright idea--filter outlet?, but do others notice this problem with these cooling fans--it's first time we've had one and it seems daft that they don't arrange the air intake to be clean air, e.g. from the room.

Thanks, Jack.

Reply to
J. Tailor

There is most likely just two screws behind the oven door holding the oven in its housing. Just take the oven out and vac around the back of the unit to clean it up.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

These fans usually draw thier air from the front and return it to somewhere else on the front. Are you really sure it draws are from the back? Built in ovens with cabinet fans usually don't assume there is any opening other than at the front. Typically, air is drawn in at the bottom under the door, and expelled at the top above the door.

Secondly, unless there's something stirring up the dust behind, I really doubt any more is going to get sucked in that way than if the air intake was at the front. Anyway, cobwebs _are_ filters ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

(Or four screws). This is probably the best option assuming there's enough slack in the flex.

Reply to
Chris Hodges