cooker warranties

Hi All

Just got a new cooker only 600ukp

Place we bought it from (on line) offered a warranty of only 7ukp per month from day one for ever as 'cookers only last 3 to 7 years'

Manuafacturer offered a 5 year free parts warranty. Sounds ok but has to be fitted by their engineer at a call out fee of 165ukp Alternatively we could pay them 11ukp per month from day one for 5 years

But I already have a one year warranty when I buy it so why pay twice?

And why so expensive?

Are there people who buy these warranties?

SWMBO took the calls and was not pleased with them.... not at all........ the blueness in the air is still dissipating

Its a Stoves cooker from Appliances on line

Not be the best on the market but the only 550 wide with a wok ring

saves an expensive reworking of the kitchen

Am doing kitchen in a couple of years so it may be sold on then anyway

Regards

Reply to
TMC

Most of these add on "warranties" are actually insurance policies provided by third party firms. They are a big time rip off. They only add to, but do not replace, your legal rights under the Sale of Goods Act. It is the seller that is legally responsible and since a cooker should last several years you should be able to recover most of the costs from the supplier. If you bought it with a credit card then the credit card company is also liable if the supplier will not play ball.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

At 600 quid its not a bargain basement cooker, so one should expect a reasonable life from it (and hence expect the retailer to stump up toward its repair if it dies too soon (they will whinge of course!))

Makes more profit for the reseller (often more than the sale of the item in the first place).

Enough must to make them worthwhile selling.

Reply to
John Rumm

Slightly OT ... Had a large Range style cooker - warranty ran out and we purchased from Manufacturer's lead - an annual insurance policy.

Been paying for a few years put a claim in as plate warmer failed .... sorry Sir no parts available, can't fix it.

A tad galling that they continued to take annual fee, yet were unable to provide contracted service when called on.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Hopefully you either found out where the parts were available, or took them to small claims to get back yor premium payments

NT

Reply to
NT

Hi All

I decided to set up a savings account for the £14 per month they wanted to cover our boiler. Even after one repair I still have over a hundred quid in there.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

On 08/06/2012 00:25, NT wrote: racted service when called on.

The T&C's gave them a get out clause ... in that if parts are not available they cannot be held responsible ... I spent ages trying to identify when the part became 'no longer available' ... but neither manufacturer nor insurer would provide that detail.

Also had clause that if spares not available there is no replacement cooker to be provided - and it would be deemed "beyond economical repair"

They did refund this year & last years as 'gesture of good faith"

They did say there had been a lot of failures of that part, and the manufacturer of it has now ceased trading. Moral here is don't buy a Rangemaster cooker and expects to get spares.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Contact Financial Ombudsman to complain and claim...