Cooker Temperature

I think our oven is on the way out as food (joints etc.) take a lot longer to cook than the recommended times at the recommended temps. Anybody know how to check the temperature of an oven, without having to spend a fortune on a suitable temp gauge? Are there any places they can be hired / borrowed? Or am I likely to have anything in my garage or shed that may help, i.e. certain things melt at certain temps. etc..

TIA

John

Reply to
John

What sort of cooker is it ? Gas Electric ? Fan ?

Maplins sell a cheap DMM with a pyro function

Peter>

Reply to
Peter

You didn't say if it was electric or gas... If it's electric, does it have a light that tells you when the element is actually on? On all ovens I have seen, there is a light or symbol on a display that shows you when the element is actually energised. If you do have one of these, is it going off at all? It should turn on when you turn on the oven, then go off when the oven is up to temperature If it is not going off, that is bad - one of the elements may have blown.

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

An oven thermometer only costs about a fiver, depending on the make. That's not exactly a fortune, is it?

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Sorry Should have said, electric, Fan, Double Oven. We are experiencing the problem with the main (largest) oven.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Take a reel of lead-free solder. Put it in the oven. It should run out of the bottom at around 228C.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

We always cook with a meat thermometer and use the oven as a guide.

Water boils at 100C...

Guy

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson @ SMTP - snipped-for-privacy@cuillin.org.uk // ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M

4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4
Reply to
Guy Dawson

Tescos usually sell oven thermometers for about a fiver I think...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Many thanks, that's the sort of answer I was hoping for. I just thought these things might cost a fortune. Do you have any idea where I could get one, either online or high street?

TIA

John

Reply to
John

I would make sure that's the problem first!

I know my oven has more than one element, if one failed, the oven would still get hot, but it would take a lot longer!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Reply to
Peter

Just a thought, but have you checked the door seal? IM(limited)E it is just as likely that this has gone as that an element has gone, and it's possibly easier to replace too.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Departments stores, Amazon, all sorts. Try googling for... oven thermometer uk

Good hunting

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry