Cooker switch & socket, arranged vertically?

Interesting, I had not realised they had reused "green" so quickly... (most of the 16th edition books I had seen (or own) were the brown ones)

Yup, sorry for the avoidance of doubt, I was just commenting on the book colour rather than the reg itself.

The regulation itself obviously still applies, although has moved to

433.3.1 in the 17th Ed
Reply to
John Rumm

You can actually get a double(ish) backbox designed to take two single accessories.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , John Rumm writes

with the lugs in the correct places for vertical usage?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Indeed:

John Rumm

=A311.06 here:

'd want to check it is the right version though. A

Reply to
andrew

In article , John Rumm writes

wrestle those into a standard 35mm depth single-gang box, especially if there is no 'give' in the cables (e.g. embedded in plaster)

When I suggested two single-gang boxes one above the other, I did mean

47mm deep boxes, assuming the original is the same depth.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

6mm^2 is doable but takes some care - 10 would be hard. You can always set the box a little deeper into the wall to get an extra few mm.

one of each would be ok as well - since you could wire the socket in 2.5mm^2

Reply to
John Rumm

... should have also said, you can get links such as:

pairing single boxes of any depth.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , John Rumm writes

I got the impression from the OP that he was hoping for a swap with as little extra work as poss - maybe the existing cooker point is tiled around and he doesn't want to damage the tiles.

Digging out an existing, probably rusty, vertical 47mm dual-gang back box and replacing it with two singles might be do-able without too much damage to surrounding tiles, but probably not if he also has to make the recess deeper for one for cable clearance.

Anyway, those (yours and mine) are ideas for him to think about.

cheers M.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

He will be a out of luck anyway then, since two singles are wider than one double.

A pain agreed, although doable. I would cut the tiles with a carbide segment saw on a multimaster and then take the rest out with a SDS.

Reply to
John Rumm

My only remaining 16th edition book is blue. No pun intended.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

and mine is yellow

Reply to
charles

Makes you wonder how much they make from the book given they seem to manage to find ways of selling every version many times!

Reply to
John Rumm

Exactly so, though replacing the existing (fairly ancient) vertically-aligned back box with a horizontal new one wouldn't be totally out of the question (the surround is wallpaper, not tiles), probably wouldn't involve that much more work than fitting two singles vertically, and would of course allow a much wider choice of switch-and-socket plate.

Absolutely. Many thanks to you and to everyone else for thoughts and suggestions.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Hello Bert, We are at present changing the electrical plates in our kitchen. I do have a white vertical cooker/socket plate that may be what you want. When I am sure I can get my replacements all in a matching finish you will be welcome to have my existing plate. Our kitchen is at present work in progress but should be sorted in the near future. Keep in touch at snipped-for-privacy@handyman1510.plus.com or 01904 768516. Ian Mason

Reply to
misterhandy1510