Cooker switch light flickering

I've just noticed that the little red light on the cooker wall switch is flickering. I'm sure it didn't used to do this. The switch itself is only about 2 year old (although prior to today, I don't think it's ever been switched off!).
Is is a sign of something bad, or is it simply (as I hope), that the light in the switch itself has had enough? Should I just change the switch (maybe for one without a light if it's going to be on 24/7?).
TIA, A.

Yeah. Neons often pack in, especially on cheaper switches. Ones without lights do indeed have fewer problems in that regard.
Christian.

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping that would be the answer... I'll replace it with one without a light!
Adam.
Adam wrote:

Just open it up and get a new neon from somewhere. They have a series resitor, thats all. Neon will set you back pence only.

On 11 Jul 2003 09:51:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Got a neon in an all metal mains extension block (ex dexion racking I'd guess! Says optima on it) This neon has been flickering on it's way out for about ten years now! Maybe it's just slow to make up it's mind? ;O)
No smell, no heat, no noise, no radio interference, it just flickers.
Take Care, Gnube

My local wholesaler used to stock MK replacement neons complete with resistor all in the same yellow sleeving. Dunno if they still do, but it would be worth a phone call.
--
*Do paediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?

only
(maybe
If you say you don't think it's ever been off, then it'll just be tired little neon lamp. The neon lamp on a 240 Vac switch is just an arc of electricity between two electrodes which makes the neon gas glow. If it's been on all this time, 2 years, it will flicker more because the arc is running up and down the length of the electrodes and not crossing at the shortest path. It is the same principle of flicker flame candle effect bulbs.
--
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

I'd guess my cooker one is about 20 years old and never switched off. Doesn't flicker, though.
--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *