Cooker Hood Height

I've got a 900mm wide cooker hood to hang on the wall. The instructions say no lower than 700mm above the hob which is a five burner gas hob.

Is there a 'usual' height for hoods?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:31:49 +0100, F mused:

Yes, no lower than 700mm from gas hobs.

Reply to
Lurch

You should check the hob instructions too, which can in theory override this.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Indeed so. In the absence of any instructions then the separation is 760mm but you can lower if BOTH the hob and extractor permit this, (to the greater of the two of course). It all in BS 6712.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Hob says 650mm, hood 700mm, so it's 700mm in terms of safety.

However, these heights are 'limitations' and not necessarily heights which offer a good working environment. My query was really about what height hoods are usually installed at to make sure that they remove smells and grease etc from above the hob whilst not getting in the way of actually using it.

'Management' would like the hood to be a little higher than the minimum but I'm reluctant to do this if it simply becomes inefficient.

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:57:06 +0100, F mused:

Depends on the hood. Soe will be reasonable at best no matter how close, some will suck your kitchen units up as well. Dropping some hoods too low will also impair performance as you start to restrict the air flow and space around the hood.

Reply to
Lurch

This one's 500 m3/hr. It'll replace the air in this kitchen 20 times each hour. Is that a gentle breeze or a hurricane?

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:13:25 +0100, F mused:

Most of the average type cooker hoods are around 200m3/hr, so yours will be a brisk wind at least. You definitely want it as far from the hob as possible, within reason, especially as it's a gas hob.

Reply to
Lurch

I'll do just that! Thanks for the advice: appreciated.

Ours is the same 'power' and I located it 95cm above the hob and the results are superb whilst being out of head height (it is 165cm from the floor).

you can see it's built into the cupboard hence the adjacent cupboards probably help guide the airflow, however this is probably offset by the fact that it only sticks out 30cm from the wall so doesn't cover the whole of the hob. Regardless of the theory it does work extremely well.

I imagine having it at, or below, eye level would be extremely annoying - somewhat 'in your face'.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Ours is just nicely at my forehead height for the annoying bump - the boss (being vertically challenged) does not have a problem! At least it is a good excuse to avoid cooking!

Reply to
John

Something not right with these dims surely? Ours is 1710mm from floor and

800mm above hob. It protrudes 500mm and just catches my nut nicely. Cookie doesn't have the head problem but complains the switches are a stretch. Just can't win.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Ah, yes. It is 185cm from the floor, 95cm from the hob.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

OK, so it looks like I can lift it without any problems. I do the cooking and at the lowest height it may well obstruct the view a little.