Cooker hood fan speed control

My new cooker hood has a variety of speeds, most of which are too high (& loud). No doubt due to it being cheaply made but I'll live with it if I can add a speed controller to slow the fan at times when I don't need gale force extraction.

Would it be foolish to think of using a simple lamp dimmer (of suitable wattage)? I'm not too worried about the motor dying young.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Lamp dimmers arent suitable for inductive loads. A series capacitor would be far neater. However there is a good reason the min speed is what it is, and going below it greatly increases the risk of the fan stalling and burning out. Not recommended.

Noise reduction might be a better approach, if its an acceptable solution.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'm also amazed it can do 'gale force extraction' All the ones I've tried have to be on full belt to be of any use. And are still marginal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

all depends on what type the motor is

Kevin

Hi,

I would just drop the voltage to the motor with some resistance in series, this could be done with power resistors or one or more halogen bulbs.

For different speeds the resistors or bulbs could be bypassed with a switch.

I did something similar to make a somewhat noisy 2kW fan heater into an almost silent 1kW fan heater.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C ukdiy

Thanks, I might try this. Any suggestions as to ballpark figures for values of resistors?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Just try a silicon rectifier, such as a BY100, in series.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Is there a sticker on the hood with the power rating among other things?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C ukdiy

Wastes money, and sometimes a fire risk. Diodes cause some motors to fry. Capacitor or inductor much better.

meow2222

noise.

Reply to
Mark