Cooker hood elecrical installation

I am extending the ground floor ring main to go into a new kitchen extension and need to make provision for a cooker hood. How is a cooker hood treated by the wiring regs? Is it a fixed installation needing a dedicated spur to a fused switch? Or can it be wired to a plug and go into a 'normal' socket?

Reply to
crimp

I suppose part of the question will be answered by looking at the cable for the cooker hood, does it have a plug already attached to it? If so then it's not fixed.

I guess the main thing is can you isolate the hood from the supply without having to touch it?

When I installed my cooker hood, I took a double pole switched fused spur from the ring. This then terminated in a single socket concealed by the chimney of the hood. The hood then plugged into this socket.

The spur was correctly embedded into the wall, hence no visible cables.

I am not an electrican so this is only an opinion.

Reply to
Rob

On 16 May 2006 08:22:10 -0700 someone who may be "crimp" wrote this:-

If you are in England or Wales have you done Mr Prescott's paperwork?

Put in a switched fused connection unit, either on the ring or (if it would meet the requirements) an unfused spur. Run a cable from that to the unit. It will probably make sense to remove the fuse and wire the cable to the right position now, terminating in a suitable junction box.

Reply to
David Hansen