Cooker Hood Carbon Filter Life?

I've just installed a basic type of cooker hood (bought from Screwfix) and it includes a carbon filter to allow air recirc within the room. The documentation which came with the product is a bit sketchy and although it says to replace the grease filter every 3 months, there's no mention of how long the carbon filter will last.

Does anyone know what kind of lifespan I can expect? It's only going to get domestic usage.

Reply to
NatterJak

It really depends (as does the grease filter) on what you do. Cooking involving fats will tend to saturate it fairly quickly.

Do you have the possibility of venting the hood outside? If it's an exterior wall then this is fairly easy to do by making a hole and using a ducting kit. Otherwise you can get ducting that is rectangular in cross section and will run along the top of kitchen cupboards.

This is well worth doing if you can because apart from saving quite a bit on filters, the results will be much better in that it will clear the room of water vapour as well.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On 24/08/2003 at 21:19:01, Andy Hall decided to regale the world with:

It's feasible technically, I mean there is an outside wall immediately adjacent, but I'm in a shared block of flats (leasehold) and I don't think I'm allowed to just go hacking lumps out of the walls.

Reply to
NatterJak

You might be allowed if you get agreement from the freeholder or agent.... It would depend on the lease terms and conditions.

There are cases where this is inevitable. For example, let's say a boiler replacement were required. This would almost certainly require some wall surgery because an originally fitted model may no longer be available.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

True, I think the answer would be no though..

All electric here.

The performance on recirc isn't bad though, I've been cooking curry all day (for freezing in batches) and the pong isn't *too* bad.

Reply to
NatterJak