Cooker gas connection

Hi all

What's the current thinking on the best method for sealing the connection at the 'gas in' connector and bayonet hose on a gas cooker.

1 turn of appropriate PTFE or compound/paste ?

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I always use a couple of turns of gas PTFE then test with dilute Fairy.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

You mean the threaded connection on the cooker itself that the hose connects to? Gas PTFE, and a test with leak detector spray.

Reply to
John Rumm

Bayonet connector could do with a wipe of kitchen oil. I wrongly connected our hob with a flex hose and I have had problems (not many) with it. And kitchen oil has cured it. It is secure now, until I put the piping right.

Are those gas detector sprays any good?

As I may have said before, I have worked with many gasses that are much more dangerous than North Sea gas. My standard method for leak detection was along your lines. A bit of washing up liquid and some water. But on its own, it can't detect tiny leaks, or even not tiny leaks.

My method was to surround the joint with a collar of foam by agitating the brush around the joint, until it had a collar of foam bubbles around it.

If you can't get a collar, then you have quite a large leak. The escaping gas is blowing the bubble apart before you can see it

If you get a collar, then you have to look out for tiny leaks by observing the bubbles. Any growth means that you have a leak. You will need a mirror to do this and a bright light.

Take care if you are not certain what you are doing.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

They are ok, although some work better than others IME... not as good as a pressure drop test with a manometer obviously. The main advantage of washing up liquid is you know they should not be corrosive for any of the components.

Reply to
John Rumm

Washing up liquid is very corrosive for iron parts.. nearly all of it uses salt as a thickening agent. Its best to wash it off.

Its why you don't use washing up liquid to wash cars.

Reply to
dennis

You meant the main advantage *over* WUL, presumably?

Reply to
Andy Wade

Sorry, that ought to be "advantage *over* washing up liquid"

Reply to
John Rumm

yup, typo, sorry.

Reply to