Cooker extractor height

Is there an optimum height above the hob at which an extractor should be mounted? Obviously height/comfort of the user and alignment with wall units are factors but my question is more about the efficiency of extraction.
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 08:16:44 -0000, "mickael"

There is a regulatory minimum height - I did a cooker hood not very long ago and it's quoted in the docs.
I seem to recall it may have been 750mm above a gas hob.
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!