Converting Present Garage into Office

Hi all,

Looking to purchase land from council to build double garage on, full planning application put in to change usage of proposed land and build new garage.

On planning Application it shows the old single garage being converted into an office.

Am right in thinking if planning is approved for new garage then conversion can take place? Nothing else to worry about ??

Thanks in advance

Reply to
mark harrison

Use of grij as ancillary office space to the main residence is usually permitted development (ie, doesn't need permission). Best to mention it in the construction application: "construction of garage/office space ancillary to main residential building". Has the application already been submitted and accepted? A quick phone call to Planning Case Officer would be best to say: by the way, is it clear in the application that I'll be using the garage as office space as well as vehicle storage? Usually the only concerns are things like storing fuel and exhaust fumes in an "office" area.

It's 5+ years since I've been on Planning, so YMMV.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

If the original approval was more that three years ago (five if extended) and the garage was not converted, that approval has automatically expired. In any case, if the approval you are getting is for two garages, that is what you have approval to build. If you then want to convert them to offices, you would need to make another application to do that. The only relevance of the earlier approval is that it indicates that there is no fundamental objection to the idea.

Why not simply get approval to build an office or office and garage (whichever it is you want) to begin with?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I read it as he is buying extra land to build a double garage on, but that he already has a single garage and is intending to convert that into an office.

It probably helps that he has noted converting it to an office on the application, as I have heard of planners refusing too much garage space compared to the size of the house!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I read it as a development of a double garage on land where there is an existing single garage, which has a previous PA. Perhaps the OP can clarify whether this is an extension to an existing domestic premises or a development on separate land. In either case, my final question still stands.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Probably come under 'change of permitted us' may not need planning, they may deal with it as permitted devleopment, but get it in writing .... or could be messy in future.

Reply to
Rick Hughes