Converting from FAT32 to NTFS

This is a continuation of the dropped external USB hard drive (which has been opened but not repaired) and my efforts to carry out regular backups.

Briefly, little Tosh netbook with hard drive running as C and D, programs on C and data on D. It is the data I want backed up, and am using NTBackup under XP. Backing up the data has to be in chunks, because total is 10GB but drive being backed up to is FAT32 with file size limitation.

The backup drive is an external USB stick, 64GB.

(a) Can I use convert.exe to convert the USB stick from FAT32 to NTFS?

(b) Are there any gotchas, or good reasons not to convert the stick?

Thanks, as ever

Reply to
News

I dunno what the windows command is,. but you can certainly convert FAT to NTFS

Mac OS/X will mount an NTFS drive as read-only unless you perform deep magic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

cmd.exe, run as administrator:

convert X: /fs:ntfs

where X is the drive you want to convert

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Thanks, yes, I found the command, but was just a bit concerned that there may be a reason not to convert, which I had overlooked. Presumably the backup will be quite happy, backing up from FAT32 to NTFS, and restoring the other way round, if necessary? It must be, because the hard drive is NTFS and the USB is FAT32, and they seem to play together quite happily.

Reply to
News