Convert door to panel door

Hi folks,

I saw recently on some tv program a kit you can buy which consists of ready made sticky backed trims to stick onto a flat door to turn it into a panel door prior to painting. However , I didn't catch enough info to be able to track down where to buy them (or even the correct name/terminology to be able to find them online). Anyone have any idea where they can be bought or some pointers in the right direction would be a help :) Or would it just be easier to buy some trim and cut them mmyself ?

Thanks in advance

Tangoman

Reply to
Tangoman

Buy some pre-finished profile timber and a cheap mitre saw from B&Q and do it yourself. I've finished our old doors here in 6 mm plywood and timber profile beading to form panel effects and they all look fantastic. So the neighbours say. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Personally, I'd just buy new panel doors. They're about 20 quid a throw and don't have 100 years of chipped high gloss on them, along with about 6 mortices cut for various sizes of door locks and lots of pin heads where the Bucknellised hardboard is held on.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You can use a handsaw if you dont want to shell out £40 for a leccy one. You can add a couple of ready moulded fancies as well if you wish

- just go easy on those.

If you want something more unusual, a sheet of quarter inch ply or mdf can be cut out in whatever set of shapse you wih for and glued on. For the daring!

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Poor old Barry. People tend to forget that he was pioneering something that gave birth to DIY. There were no power tools for the home in those days. Glue was made from bone jelly and materials were in very short supply. If you had an electic drill or lathe like as not it plugged in to the light with a multi adaptor so you could use the bulb at the same time.

Plain flush doors were unusual in those days. I'm not saying that everyone lived in homes built by John Nash rather than hovels where they dreamed about council housing and prefabs. It would be a decade or so before Hygiena QA brought out the first self assembled chipboard kitchen unit.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Hmm. IIRC, by the time he came on the scene, post war shortages had gone and we were in the 'never had it so good' period. Indeed, it was the booming economy that forced many to DIY - through the trades' wages going up to sensible levels because of the shortage of labour.

Electric drills were certainly available.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I can remember seeing moulding kits in the sheds. But the moulding lengths can be bought from any decent wood yard and some sheds - although they wouldn't be sold for that purpose - and you could mitre them yourself and glue and pin in place.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

"Michael Mcneil" wrote | > ... lots of pin heads where the Bucknellised hardboard is held on. | Poor old Barry. People tend to forget that he was pioneering something | that gave birth to DIY.

And how many old doors, fireplaces, iron bannisters, and other architectural bits were saved from the skip by ardent Bucknellers hardboarding over everything in site rather than doing a 'proper' job of ripping all the old stuff out.

Owain

Reply to
Owain