Conventional CH boilers on the way out?

Page 1 of 2
Someone mentioned that conventional gravity fed back boilers are being phased out. Is there any truth in this and, if so, since I can't see me ever wanting a combi, what are my options when it comes to change?
Thanks, Tony
Tony Hayes wrote:

Conventional (ie. non-condensing) boilers are likely to be phased out. Simply done by Government increasing the minimum boiler efficiency to above that possible without condensing.
I don't know of any condensing boilers that support gravity feeds (but I also know of few boilers!) - so you may be required to change to a pumped system if you replace your current boiler. As for back boilers... ?
You won't be required to go to a combi system - non-combi boilers will still be around - its just non-condensing boilers that may dissapear.
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:36:49 +0000, David Hearn wrote:

The term conventional can be applied to mean as opposed to combination boiler or it can mean as opposed to condensing.
It's the non-condensing models that are to be phased out in the next few years.
Boilers come in three sorts combination, system and plain. Combination boilers produce 'instant' (um...) hot water. Plain boilers simply heat the water pushed through them. System boilers include the pump and other components that implement a sealed primary circuit (see FAQ below).
There is no good reason to continue installing heating systems that use convection of the primary water to heat the HW cylinder. There is much to be gained from using a fully pumped system: 1) Control of the HW temperature. 2) Much better heat trasnfer to the HW cylinder. 3) ... which leads to faster recover times for the HW.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

above
pumped
still
As combi boilers now take 70% of sales of 1.1 to 1.,2 millions boilers a year, a conventional boiler is now a combi.

above
pumped
still
Not quite right. It is boilers less than 86% SEDBUK efficiency. Condensing has little to do with it.

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 02:59:21 +0000, IMM wrote:

Since there are no non-condensing boilers with a SEDBUK >= 86%, I assert condensing has much to do with it.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

out.
(but I

will
few
Condensing
If a boiler is developed over 86% without condensing then it passes. BTW, most regular boilers have peak efficiencies of over 90%. It is keeping it at that point that is the problem.
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:15:45 +0000, IMM wrote:

Agreed. The SEDBUK reflects the ability of the overall appliance to respond to all the conditions is has to operate under.
I typically measure efficiencies on most conventional fanned flue boilers at around 85%, which is pretty good since that is out of 90% max.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Well move to civilisation.

From the one who thinks everyone should be able to live anywhere they like.
--
Welcome to the jungle. Please observe our laws.

Mail john rather than nospam...
"John Laird" < snipped-for-privacy@laird-towers.org.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
writes

But according to you everywhere is habitable, so how much of UK land is "lacking" and should not be lived on, can it be defined as anywhere without mains gas?
--
David

< snipped-for-privacy@chaplehouse.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@chapelhouse.demon.co.uk...
writes

But when Steve said he did not have gas you said "well move to civilisation" what exactly are you saying, I think we should be told.
--
David

lay
lead
they
He lives in Wiltshire. Every been there?

And where do you live?
Mary

A pad in central London and a house in the country.
writes

Yes we should all live in towns and cities, it makes much more sense from an infrastructure point of view.
--
David

< snipped-for-privacy@chaplehouse.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@chapelhouse.demon.co.uk...

It sounds to me that that's where he already lives.
Mary