Controlling immersion heater

I have a Grassun ("Bath Timer") on one of my immersion heaters, but it strikes me as rather complicated to control. The other immersion heater just has simple Bath/Sink and On/Off controls.

I wonder if there is any straightforward controller that can set the water temperature as well as setting the timing?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

The immersion heater will have an adjustable thermostat integral with it. I think the Bath/Sink switch selects between a top heater which just heats a small amount of the cylinder (sink) and a lower heater which heats all the cylinder (bath). I've not had one of these setups, but I suspect each immersion heater has its own adjustable thermostat integral with it in this case.

You could add a countdown timer to the bath/sink switch setup. It's not clear to me exactly what you want to achieve though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

No, just the one stat serving both elements.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Grimly Curmudgeon saying something like:

I should be clearer- in 99% of cases the Bath/Sink dual element type is in one assembly from the top. I take it you were referring to the seperate top and bottom elements, which is fairly rare here in domestic setups.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The only one I've investigated enough to notice had two immersion heaters, one near the top, and one near the bottom. It was om a square tank with integrated header tank on top, in a flat.

It all stopped working about once a year because the pipe from the header tank ran through the lower hot tank to discharge into the bottom of it, but the heat from the hot water higher up caused scale inside the fill pipe, and it blocked about every

12 months.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

Good grief, what a clever bit o' design.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon